Author Topic: Sime Darby's Eco House  (Read 6882 times)

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
Sime Darby's Eco House
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:27:03 AM »
Apparently Sime Darby has commisioned an architect to design what they claim as South East Asia's first zero carbon residence. Noble gesture indeed. Yet I'm not sure where they're heading with this.

Are we going to witness housing estates consisting of such designs? That'll be interesting for sure.

Malaysian Eco-friendly House by Broadway Malyan
Category: Green Architecture, House Design

Malaysian Eco-friendly House

Sime Darby Property which is one of the largest property developers in Malaysia has assigned architect Broadway Malyan to accomplish the South East Asia’s first carbon zero residence project. Prefabricated in modules, the house not only keeps costs down it also allows for a speedy construction/deconstruction process. Featuring deep overhangs that provide shade, open, flexible interior spaces to accommodate a variety of uses, a greywater system to reuse water and a green roof garden with a rainwater capture system for irrigation, we can tell for sure we wouldn’t mind living in such an eco-friendly house. Imagine an eco-friendly house that you create close to the seaside in summer and in the mountains when the winter comes.

Wouldn’t that be cool?

Malaysian Green House Architecture

Malaysian Modular Eco-friendly House

South East Asia first carbon zero residence

http://www.archidir.com/house-design/malaysian-eco-friendly-house-by-broadway-malyan/#more-356
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
Re: Sime Darby's Eco House
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:41:10 AM »
prefab modules... check.
deep overhangs... check.
open flexible spaces... check.
recycling water systems... check.

now i just wonder what's the price of maintaining such a building is like, and if it's really that sustainable.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:02:55 PM »
looks too commercial

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
i kind of like the design...except for the orange alucobond.
reminds me of ken yeangs ugly mewh oil hq..bleurghh

bright coloured alucobonds tend to desaturate after a while..especially in malaysian conditions..
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
bright coloured alucobonds tend to desaturate after a while..especially in malaysian conditions..

Well, not just Malaysian conditions but tropical climate in general. Even the standard grey ones look hideous after a while, let alone bright coloured ones. Is it a matter of maintenance or alucabond are just not suited for wet & humid environments such as ours?

reminds me of ken yeangs ugly mewh oil hq..bleurghh
In the proposal, the long thin space dividing the building is meant to be filled with vegetation. I wonder if that's still the case.

prefab modules... check.
Given its modular and prefab nature, I wonder if Sime Darby is going to sell it by components/parts? I mean, they'd just provide the housing units and the clients would have to buy whichever/wherever plot of land themselves.

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »
its deffinitely a lot more rapid in malaysia given the intensity of sunlight. but in general, they all fade. having a look at DCM's melb museum and the convention center, they seem like they've seen better days, of course at the time, nobody could really tell how long the colours could stay, but nowadays, architects are more aware and selective, especially in selecting colours tha fade well in the duration of it's life span..

with the mewah oil building, i think AM had published it probably a year ago with shots of that internal garden. somehow the old linangan jernih in its hayday was more successful..
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 02:47:28 AM »
i find the design pretty interesting. before the conservative islamic movement start to crept to every inch of malaysia, design of most malay houses look just like that: huge windows on stilts with open ground floor.

yet when people become more conservative, they wall everything up. heck, they even fence everything up. ofcourse crime is a factor, but i'm talking about the malay psyche - houses must be closed to preserve their family from the outside world.

well here's one way to look at things: make the outside world your home.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline kuyeekee

• nothing beats the real action
  • Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
alamak... ugly nyer
grades are judgement of others on you but not what you have on yourself.

Offline syarawi

• Senior
    • http://syarawi.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »
orange kills it...    reminds me of the 'modified cars' here in jb.  city wwith the highest density of "ugly modified cars"

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »
yet when people become more conservative, they wall everything up. heck, they even fence everything up. ofcourse crime is a factor, but i'm talking about the malay psyche - houses must be closed to preserve their family from the outside world.

well here's one way to look at things: make the outside world your home.

Conservativeness is a factor but decreasing private/public realm also played a part.

I mean in the old days we have lawn all round scattered with reban ayam, pokok buah, kebun and whatnot. Setback between houses were not an issue because they have ample of it. This started to change with the evolution of the modern plot.

Nowadays, the public realm lingers perpetually infront our front door. Surely we can't afford to be 'open' in such circumstances?

orange kills it...    reminds me of the 'modified cars' here in jb.  city wwith the highest density of "ugly modified cars"

I think the orangeness has got to do with the colour scheme of their corporate logo. Branding le katakan...

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
orange house is not uncommon in Kelantan....

Offline Hazam

• Senior
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
orange nyer mak ngah, i think they should change the colour, it reminds me one of my friend & he always choose bright striking colour.

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:51:31 PM »
but if we go back to roda warna...oren itu harmoni dgn hijau..
dumb di dumb di dumb..