Author Topic: The 6th UTM-KL Architectural Showcase  (Read 9803 times)

Awan_Larat

The 6th UTM-KL Architectural Showcase
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:46:06 AM »
Announcing our 6th Architectural Showcase held from 9th to 13th May 2003.
Details of the event will be announce.

Offline legnakrad

• Regular
  • graaah graah~~
Re: The 6th UTM-KL Architectural Showcase
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:40:33 AM »
I'm tempted, though I must pointed out; why it must be in the early holiday?

at that time, 2nd year will probably go for their measured, 3rd n 4th year respectively will go for their practical training, of course the final year will start working; leaving the 1st year, which will be preparing themselves for RUMI.

U might argue that I'm searching for excuse not to attend the event mr yuri, but eventually, SOME will come to visit. (amin, though u go again this time, refrain yourself from cuci mata.ehem :P) but will that few be recognized as the rep of skudai?

why not, may I humbly propose, that u do it in the early sem? that way, we have the privilege to use the varsity's bus, we can send in more people (including those who lives in the east coast and East M'sia), and u get to promote the upper years to the freshies. how's that sounds?

of course there must be other factors for u to hold in in the early holiday. I'm all ears. cheers! :)
cipan angkasa membelah bumi! hiyaarghh~
http://khruz.blogspot.com/

Offline kuyeekee

• nothing beats the real action
  • Senior
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »
long to see this exhibition too - but too lazy to go to KL... can u take photos and post here to share with everyone?
grades are judgement of others on you but not what you have on yourself.

Offline syarawi

• Senior
    • http://syarawi.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:45 AM »
equally tempted, but cant. finishing up thesis.  :yahoo:

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
nice poster.

tambah tolak darab bahagi?

Awan_Larat

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:15:52 PM »
I'm tempted, though I must pointed out; why it must be in the early holiday?

at that time, 2nd year will probably go for their measured, 3rd n 4th year respectively will go for their practical training, of course the final year will start working; leaving the 1st year, which will be preparing themselves for RUMI.

U might argue that I'm searching for excuse not to attend the event mr yuri, but eventually, SOME will come to visit. (amin, though u go again this time, refrain yourself from cuci mata.ehem :P) but will that few be recognized as the rep of skudai?

why not, may I humbly propose, that u do it in the early sem? that way, we have the privilege to use the varsity's bus, we can send in more people (including those who lives in the east coast and East M'sia), and u get to promote the upper years to the freshies. how's that sounds?

of course there must be other factors for u to hold in in the early holiday. I'm all ears. cheers! :)

I was informed that Skudai's Portfolio will be held from the 4th to 8th of May, which is still Exam Week. Ours in on the 7th May. The exhibition is on the final week of exam which is still part of the semester, not the holidays.

Its kinda impossible to make the exhibition in early semester for the whole objective is to celebrate the students works done throughout the process. And its been a culture among students that we make our portfolio an exhibition as a sense of achievement and success to all the effort. At the closing day, we have a party. Budak-budak school lain kat Lembah Kelang pun dah tahu, sebab kitorang pun datang portfolio diorang, UPM...UIAM..UiTM.

About our student culture here,
We don't have malam Pra-Graduan, Archiweek...Puisi...etc. The single most important event and venue that we have is the Portfolio Showcase at the end of the semester. We did things differently here.

Why is it important?
What happens at the end of the semester to Architecture Students? Usually masing2 buat hal sendiri, balik awal...sedar-sedar je dah hilang. Nak tengok kerja-kerja orang lain pun tak dapat, lagilah buat comparison. Kerja pun tak tahu nak tunjuk kat sape, melainkan Pensyarah sahaja. Parents pun tak pernah ambik tahu. Bukak sem, dapat markah, skandal...kontraversi. Selalunya penghujung semester...negative.

But what if at the end of the semester, everyone prepared their work for the PUBLIC to see, more-over parents come to know what their sons & daughters do in Architecture School. The sense of pride that your work is going to be display will make you to do your best for the design. You are also explain of your effort to marks by lecturers, make healthy comparison to the good and the average. You get to present works of yours and friends to other Architecture School student...not to mention other courses. Previous works are also displayed to show the legacy seniors left, and how it becomes a pride and inspiration to the juniors (in the Arch Gallery)

At at the end of it, you make a barbeque, makan2...gig...etc. Just to celebrate the end of the semester in a positive way. And you know that this will happen every semester...so focus all you work to the event.

Its ok, that a lot of you from Skudai can't make it to the event. Aku dah redha yang payah  nak ajak ngkorang nih...hehehe. Yang mane datang tu, berbesar hatilah kami.

Cuti nih program UTM-KL back to back. Dari Portfolio Showcase to Measured Drawing ke Rumi dan pergi Italian Trip (Bologna) balik buat Camp Arco dan jadik host untuk PAM Architectural School Exhibition...Dan student kitorang cuma 68 orang jer...6 orang pensyarah.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
it's a simple issue, really.

the event will be conducted DURING our portfolio review. u cant be in two place at the same time. either change the date, or change the venue.

argue panjang2 pun tak guna.   :yawn:
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
it's a simple issue, really.

the event will be conducted DURING our portfolio review. u cant be in two place at the same time. either change the date, or change the venue.

argue panjang2 pun tak guna.   :yawn:

Wow...thank you very much for your enthusiasm towards us Aza  <_< obviously not that big deal to you as to us.

Anyway...the Showcase is AFTER you portfolio.

This is the program, Its not confirm but your can use this to plan.

7th May 2009
9.00am to 5.00pm- Assesement of the Students Works by representative of PAM, IIUM and UTM-Skudai
8th May 2009
Installation and preparation to exhibition-Its closed but welcome to see students setting up for exhibition.
9th May 2009
Parents-Lecturers Day (Breakfast at Garden Style)...hopefully ada Scones..hehehe
10th May 2009
Open to public
11th May 2009
10.00 am-Official Opening by UTM VIP-to be confirmed and staff of International Campus
12th May 2009
Open to public
13th May 2009
8.00pm Portfolio Party at Studio garden.

You are welcome to come at any of those time. :thumbs:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:53:08 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline legnakrad

• Regular
  • graaah graah~~
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:01:29 AM »
hehe. I consider exam week as our holiday anyway since im gonna start my practical in early may. the same goes to others as well. I cant promise anything yet, I'll give it a look if i have the chance. insyaALLAH

chill out anyway. i think the "not big deal" is the lengthy argument, not your event yuri.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
hehe. I consider exam week as our holiday anyway since im gonna start my practical in early may. the same goes to others as well. I cant promise anything yet, I'll give it a look if i have the chance. insyaALLAH

chill out anyway. i think the "not big deal" is the lengthy argument, not your event yuri.

Kat sini aku selalu cakap kat budak2(pinjam dari Prof Bashri), ada dua jenis insyaALLAH, insyaALLAH melayu dan insyaALLAH Islam...hehehe.

I can trust that yours is insyaALLAH Islam.

About the lengthy argument, i came to realize that you cannot force students from the main campus to come even though by past reference to the sense of obligation is there.

You just have to justify it by respect. We visit each other to compliment our roles and works between the two schools.

Kami hanya menjemput.  :notworthy:

The event is important for us for it is our culture. It is also an event for the lecturers legnakred. Here, in KL the Lecturers have to present, justify and conclude the whole semester(year) that they taught to the panels in a FORMAL PRESENTATION. Every semester, the way we taught and its content are for discussion by the panel, with written reports. (kecuali a past Ketua Jabatan yang tak hantar lagi...ahem ^^`) So, it is an event for the lecturers too. We are also answerable to your parents.

I ask you Legnakred, pernah ke you bawak parents you jumpa your lecturer? We did it every year here.

Offline legnakrad

• Regular
  • graaah graah~~
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:55:10 AM »
in terms of academic and formality, honestly no, for the time being. since i came up from far nothern up, i guess the only other day my mom will be here is on my graduation day :)

but my mum keep in contact with my lecturers, since i'm close to most of them, they know me and vice versa, so i didnt actually see fit for my mum to travel all the way just to be physically present for some answer. alhamdulillah we at least got a handphone.

U dont need to be physically present to know someone or to be answered to ait yuri? :P

I dont really think we need a session where the parents have a Q&A session with the lecturers. they're not the one studying, we are. and if there's any irregularity or any sorts of tweebie bub in our studies, our system and our marking, wouldnt the students be the 1st to know, hence, as old as we are now, take some responsibility and account ourselves instead of relaying it through our parents?

I think thats why in skudai we have our own after-portfolio session with the panels to see how things are running throughout the sem.

celebrate our differences I say

that's my personal opinion though.  :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:13:50 AM by legnakrad »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:45:27 AM »

I dont really think we need a session where the parents have a Q&A session with the lecturers. they're not the one studying, we are. and if there's any irregularity or any sorts of tweebie bub in our studies, our system and our marking, wouldnt the students be the 1st to know, hence, as old as we are now, take some responsibility and account ourselves instead of relaying it through our parents?

A few years back some parents are concern about how is it life taking architecture, the sleepless nights, money and even the amount of work students did as per compared to other courses. When they came to the Portfolio Showcase, they started to trust more their children, comprehend the reality of it. They can also know, how you did, as compared to your friends. Look at it in a positive way. Parents met lecturers not just to complain about marks...hehehe. They want to know HOW they can help their children. Plus, they can put more trust on the lecturers, hehe...

Isn't it good for you to show your works. Baru-lah diorang appreciate lagi kat ngkorang.

To me,
Knowing people in-person is always the best way to understand them. Like you for instance, do you know my voice? how i look? My gestures when discussing? my facial expression? You called me by my name, yuri. But i don't know your real name? Is that fair? Honest? know me as a friend or a forum member in Tanggam? Kesimpulan kita terhadap orang akan berubah sebaik saja kita berdepan dan kenal mereka secara realiti. Adil ke you nilai orang lain atas nama diorang tapi tak kenal pun?

I think being physically present to confront people give you a lot of advantages in explaining. It also brings out the truth to those you want to meet. People can't lie their body language, delete what they spoke, or fake facial expression too much. You can tell how frank they are when speaking. Selalunya orang yang takut confront, adalah orang yang takut kantoi.

I think thats why in skudai we have our own after-portfolio session with the panels to see how things are running throughout the sem.

No difference here. The students also have their session with the panel like you guys. Its like a common practice in all architecture schools.

Offline legnakrad

• Regular
  • graaah graah~~
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »
hehe. u met me already lah yuri. im azim's twin. remember? way back in 2007 :P

yup.true. meeting in person is way better than communicating virtually per say.
i'm not denying it. but its also not a 'wajib' thingy is it? :P
but though virtual didnt give u in depth of one's personality, it give u hints of what type the person are. the way u react and voice out your opinions, for instance.
To know people TRULY, physically or virtually, how long its gonna take, do u reckon? :P

celebrating difference quoted is not on the after-portfolio session with the panels. I mean, by goodwill and gesture, is to appreciate what skudai's doing, and what's kl is doing. student culture ke studio practice ke system ke

We don't have malam Pra-Graduan, Archiweek...Puisi...etc. The single most important event and venue that we have is the Portfolio Showcase at the end of the semester. We did things differently here.

no hentam2 maa :D
just "cool gile korang ade portfolio showcase party" and " cool gile korang ley jadi jedi and main human foosball". goes both way that.

and to appreciate what aza have in mind and what you have in mind.

someone got to say that hehe
cheers and chill :D

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:16:18 AM »

a valid point, being different.

hence when skudai are doing things differently, do have the decency to respect what we're doing.

u see, when people cant attend ur portfolio event, it's not bcoz we're boycotting UTM KL, it's not bcoz we're making a statement, it's not bcoz we loathe UTM KL. it's bcoz we physically CANT be in two places at the same time. so just leave it at that.

i'm pretty sure there are students who could squeeze the trip to KL in their schedule, though. but as a formal trip? probably not.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline syarawi

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:47:47 AM »
hurm. nice poster ;). by the way, out of curiosity, what does the plus and divide symbol mean.?

Awan_Larat

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 06:34:31 AM »

hehe. u met me already lah yuri. im azim's twin. remember? way back in 2007 :P

Ahh...i remember..the one yang apply duduk asrama untuk measured. Apa la nama ngkao..ish dah lupa. :P  Muka ingat.   ^^` hehehe. I always remember people yang tegur dan borak ngan aku.

yup.true. meeting in person is way better than communicating virtually per say.
i'm not denying it. but its also not a 'wajib' thingy is it? :P
but though virtual didnt give u in depth of one's personality, it give u hints of what type the person are. the way u react and voice out your opinions, for instance.
To know people TRULY, physically or virtually, how long its gonna take, do u reckon? :P

Effort my friend. It takes effort and an open mind. Of course there is an excuse not to, but you have to take that leap to know someone. Kena berani lah.

hurm. nice poster ;). by the way, out of curiosity, what does the plus and divide symbol mean.?

Its the theme TOLAK CAMPUR DARAB & BAHAGI...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:36:20 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline syarawi

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »

Its the theme TOLAK CAMPUR DARAB & BAHAGI...

which means?

might be able to drop by .theres shisha tour in kl that time around

Awan_Larat

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »
which means?

Its kinda not that hard to conclude the meaning ehh, syarawi?  :P

Offline syarawi

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »
no, seriously, ur not answering my q. why does it have to be tolak campur darab bahagi.??

Awan_Larat

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »

If you would put a design process so naively in a graphical sentence, it is like some sort of mathematical equation. Therefore its 'tolak campur darab bahagi'.