Author Topic: We've MOVED!  (Read 7402 times)

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
Re: We've MOVED!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »
One of the small changes we did was to change the name STUDIO to ATELIER. We thought the word Studio has lost its meaning when QS and Planners use them same to Architecture in SKUDAI. Atelier nampak macam ruang tu sentiasa semak, alive..macam bengkel...mcm Architect. Bukan poyo..cuma mencari identiti sendiri. Kat Skudai kan diorang panggil Design Lab. Sini Atelier...

it's good that u're looking for ur own identity, but u have the wrong assumption on what goes on in skudai.

there's a reason why it's not called a studio anymore in skudai. not bcoz of meaning, but rather an issue of technical interpretation. at the admin level, the studio is defined very similar to a bengkel, which basically complies to what u said. fair enough, we dont dispute that, right? but at that time, we're applying for budget to refresh our studios with airconditions, more powerpoints, network support, improved lightings etc.

but when we tabled the budget proposal at the senate, there was a huge dispute about why a bengkel needs aircondition, lighting, PC support and networking. this went on for about a year before we decided to redefine everything and call it a design lab.

it's still a studio in every sense. it's only called a design lab to get the budget. not bcoz of loss of identity or whatever. unlike some of us, we in skudai feel no threat about other courses adopting the studio approach. the design studio is not just a place, it's a state of mind. drop a designer in any place, they can turn it into a studio. which is illustrated in what u're doing with the UTM KL atelier.

so there, a little lesson in history.

by the way, the atelier looked awesome. have fun!
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
Those people in Hartabina Skudai are very anal when it comes to definition of function and budget...literally! huh Aza?. 

The word ATELIER itself means..artist's workshop. Its just that you feel funny when other courses that doesn't really use the space as constant and creative like we do, demand the same, nak jadik wannabes. I'm fine with Planners..but QS...hrmmm. Tu je.

Stigma die,
Bila ckp jer Studio sekarang...you have to ask first..Archi ke? Planner ke? QS?

For me, the idea of 'PLACE MAKING' is very important. The word itself is a philosophy in Architecture. The 'SENSE of PLACE'. And our workspace is the 'PLACE' for all the things we did to become an Architect...also to teach.

We don't just teach students to design anything without its PLACE in SPACE and TIME. The process of making is also reflected upon you workspace...PLACE.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:50:12 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline logorithm

• Senior
  • Archi890
    • Just about anything lah...
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »
keep the temp refuse bin! that thing always reminds me of something something holt pfau jones.

Yeah!  And paint it green! :lol:

Awan jangan marah! :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:04:14 PM by logorithm »

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
Those people in Hartabina Skudai are very anal when it comes to definition of function and budget...literally! huh Aza?. 

The word ATELIER itself means..artist's workshop. Its just that you feel funny when other courses that doesn't really use the space as constant and creative like we do, demand the same, nak jadik wannabes. I'm fine with Planners..but QS...hrmmm. Tu je.

Stigma die,
Bila ckp jer Studio sekarang...you have to ask first..Archi ke? Planner ke? QS?

For me, the idea of 'PLACE MAKING' is very important. The word itself is a philosophy in Architecture. The 'SENSE of PLACE'. And our workspace is the 'PLACE' for all the things we did to become an Architect...also to teach.

We don't just teach students to design anything without its PLACE in SPACE and TIME. The process of making is also reflected upon you workspace...PLACE.

yet in the real world where architecture is actually built..its just called an office..
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Offline logorithm

• Senior
  • Archi890
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
Apa citer terbaru Atelier? :whistle:

Offline TeeJay

• Tortured
  • Junior
  • isn't it obvious? the chicken comes before the egg
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 03:08:16 AM »
What's new? Practically everything. Tho if you meant the buildings, not much has changed. 

First year has been placed at the 3rd yr atelier, 2nd year at the year 2 planner atelier, and the 3rd yr, lucky custards, took the 'rumah kayu', previously occupied by first yr.

But the mazes of drafting board seems to be better. No one have yet gotten lost between seas of drafting boards and partitions. hahaha

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 06:01:25 AM »
The word on the street is that the diploma programme is set to be relocated again. It'll be a shame to let all the Ateliers go to waste...
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Offline TeeJay

• Tortured
  • Junior
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 06:30:39 AM »
One thing I've learned from the last semester, never listen to any rumours that're spread on the street. Tho, if what you said is true, then it'll be a shame indeed.

heck! we won't let it go easily without a fight. believe you me. i think most of the diploma students have already have a sort of attachment to the place. small or big, the atelier has already become our second home. sort of.

Offline amiin

• Junior
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
i went to the atelier last weekend..as tetamu x diundang..
so many cctv..nk panjat pagar pon susah..

papehal pn..best2..! ;)6
~tasteful for the tasteless~

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »
haha. CCTV tu wajib ada kat utmkl.

Kalo ko dah tak nak barang2 ko, senang je. letak dalam studio, 5 minit je hilang.

Offline logorithm

• Senior
  • Archi890
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
Yup... En. Yuri kita pun h/p dia kena curi masa Pameran 360 hari tuh.

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »
betapa cekapnya pencuri tu. masa 360 exhibition hari tu, tak silap aku ramai bebudak archi di sekitar ofice mr yuri. sekali boleh hilang.

pernah sekali tu,  dia curi laptop depan2 kitorang yang tengah berbuka puasa ramai-ramai, the 1st day of ramadhan!! giler cekap. muka dah nampak, tapi boleh lari jugak. mak aih!

Offline amiin

• Junior
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »
mak aih..!
pastu dpt tangkap x?

tp yg aku maksudkan cctv kt pagar2 utama..
coz aku dtg sane dlm pkul 2 pagi..
terpakse le mencari pagar yg clear dr cctv utk melompat..
  ^^`

Offline TeeJay

• Tortured
  • Junior
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »
Hahaha. The CCTV has two functions to comply. To keep the students from climbing INTO the school and OUT from school. Either way, no barb wire could stop us.  :devil:

We have our 'secret passage'.

It's ridiculous anyway to walk all the way to the main entrance to get to the food in SS (Selere semarak, our local kedai makan) when you can cut half the time of the journey by opening the back entrance near atelier.

Sheesh! Which reminds me, I should have mention this to the calon MPP during the elections.  :doh: And there goes my chance for a recycling center in UTM...

O well, next year then.

Offline amiin

• Junior
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 05:45:24 AM »
err..wheres ur secret passage?
care to share..?he he

Offline bakrihafizhisham

• Junior
  • i hope life isnt a joke, coz i just dont get it.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
alahh!
amin buat2 tak tau plakk!
life is wasted on living,
why not do it to the fullest?

http://bak.my

Offline TeeJay

• Tortured
  • Junior
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
hahaha. you need to ask the right person. i'm not entitled to say anything further. they have 'eyes' and 'ears' here in tanggam. kononnya mata2 mat saman.

but for the record, we didn't vandalise anything...much.

btw amiin, were you one of the super seniors who visited the 1st yr atelier while them were doing models?

Offline amiin

• Junior
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:11 AM »
woo..ada balaci! haha..yup..i was there..thnx to your seniors for the little tour around..love to see all the muka2 tension that night..hehe..btw im not a superseniorlah..

alahh!
amin buat2 tak tau plakk!
x puas hati jumpe aku di meje pimpong..revenge!!haha

Offline Blacks

• Beneath the Eurekan Void..
  • Junior
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
woo..ada balaci! haha..yup..i was there..thnx to your seniors for the little tour around..love to see all the muka2 tension that night..hehe..btw im not a superseniorlah..

Xpe2 amin, before long, you'll become one of the super seniors  :devil:

Weird thing though, while we were there, the 'atelier' was strangely missing a huge number of male lifeforms, were they at the 'secret passage'  :whistle:

I personally thank god the snipers from the nearby Kem Tentera didn't take a shot at us  :D

Offline TeeJay

• Tortured
  • Junior
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:56 PM »
The male lifeforms you mentioned were back at kolej kediaman ke-2 for 12 o'clock curfew. fortunately, the girls are staying inside the campus.

aah. no fear. i reckon in another week or so, u'll be seeing more XX species in atelier. come and join our late night video game match next time. that is, if there's no dateline to catch up.