Author Topic: 3:6:0 2007/2008 ARCHITECTURAL EXHIBITION.  (Read 9130 times)

Offline nyonya_tan

• sambal petai lover
  • Senior
    • complexities and contradictions
Re: 3:6:0 2007/2008 ARCHITECTURAL EXHIBITION.
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
Just to clarify, actually the Bartlett's Summer Shows are usually held at the Slade and not at the Bartlett itself pasal it's a godawful building.

And the small exhibitions at the Bartlett are usually held at the lobby and the lecture rooms at the ground floor. Actually apart from the Masters' courses, there are no studios at the Bartlett, save for these really small rooms which can maybe fit 2-3 students at a time. There's no way all the students in a unit can work at school because of the space constraint. I know Spiller's students mostly don't.

As for the AA, well, theirs is a free-standing school and not under the wing of a bigger institution, hence of course their exhibitions are held in their building.

There is this culture in the West where there is no formality of space usage. Creativity is given to the student to transform, problem solve their studio space into exhibition modules.

I agree, though maybe not limited to their studios per se, mostly students have a free reign in transforming whatever space they have for their exhibitions, as long as they get the green light from the workshop people (macam Pak Jas UTM la). Usually they would consult the workshop people and discuss their plans with them before starting work so that they can advise and help with the preparation. I think this is the busiest time of the year for those workshop people. Which is why the Bartlett's exhibition nampak professional, it's a collaboration between the creativity of the students and the know-how of the workshop people.

carpe diem... heck, life IS short.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »

I agree, though maybe not limited to their studios per se, mostly students have a free reign in transforming whatever space they have for their exhibitions, as long as they get the green light from the workshop people (macam Pak Jas UTM la). Usually they would consult the workshop people and discuss their plans with them before starting work so that they can advise and help with the preparation. I think this is the busiest time of the year for those workshop people. Which is why the Bartlett's exhibition nampak professional, it's a collaboration between the creativity of the students and the know-how of the workshop people.

Just to let you know Nyonya, regarding the workshop in Skudai is now under the management of the QS department as the need to use it from architecture students has diminish to more popular sketch-up rendering and virtual design. Doing practical stuff at the workshop is unfashionable..buat teori lagi best.

PM Apai is now teaching in KL alongside PM Bashri in the 3rd year studio. Pelik..kenapa Tanggam dan Jabatan senyap je...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:38:56 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline nyonya_tan

• sambal petai lover
  • Senior
    • complexities and contradictions
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2008, 10:46:37 PM »
Well models don't have to be practical, they can be theoretical as well. In fact most of the models at the Bartlett are theoretical, or for want of a better word, conceptual.

The students' work at the Bartlett has transcended the generally understood notion of drawing and model-making. If you were to look at CJ Lim's unit you'll see what I mean, you can't define their pieces as drawings or models per se because they're both.

All I'm saying is bring back the culture of making.
carpe diem... heck, life IS short.

Offline doctor_cox

• Senior
    • http://geocities.com/petaling_st
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
It depends, if you called the act of putting the drawing on a partition is justified 'exhibition' hehehehe...Enough to said..hey! tengoklah pameran kitorang.

uk aloh, kerek giler -.-'

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »
well, i love how exhibitions must conform to yuri's standard bcoz he has defined that his is the best one. sorry laa pasal school lain tak se-advanced yuri's :D. we MUST ensure that school's exhibition achieves the ultimate standard of yuri, bcoz that is how he defines a good school. right on!

and how is it that the workshop in skudai now falls under QS, while all these while it actually is an independent unit, shared by all the departments? it isnt exclusive to architecture in the first place :D. sapa nak pakai, pakai laa.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:39 AM »
Ngkao salah paham le ayat tu Cox...

Sorilah maksud aku lain.
Maksud die sinikal-lah...bukan kerek. Orang yang buat 'pameran' tuh perasan dia dah cukup lengkap buat pameran. Dah tampal atas board kira pameran. Bukan nak up-kan diri sendirilah.

Anyway..
For you Aza there is a standard for exhibitions. If you said Skudai is any better...apesal tak buat kat OU untuk 3 kali terlepas? kat USM? UIAM or anywhere right? Also..other than giving the signal to PAM that these events are a waste of time.

Of course aku ada standard aku sendiri untuk exhibition. If you can do any better just do it..jgn cakap je atau defend membabi buta. And yes, exhibition juga ada peranan dalam menentukan how good a school is. Its a very positive event for architecture students.

Well models don't have to be practical, they can be theoretical as well. In fact most of the models at the Bartlett are theoretical, or for want of a better word, conceptual.

The students' work at the Bartlett has transcended the generally understood notion of drawing and model-making. If you were to look at CJ Lim's unit you'll see what I mean, you can't define their pieces as drawings or models per se because they're both.

All I'm saying is bring back the culture of making.

I do agree with you Nyonya. Models do not have to be practical. It can be theory or conceptual. What I meant by 'students minat buat teori' is not making architecture by drawings and model but WORDS.

AA and Bartlett have workshops where you can explore materials and tools to make designs other than glorifying sketch-up. Their concept of MAKING is not formalize. And i am all out in the culture of making.

and how is it that the workshop in skudai now falls under QS, while all these while it actually is an independent unit, shared by all the departments? it isnt exclusive to architecture in the first place :D. sapa nak pakai, pakai laa.
]

Masalahnye budak Archi pakai ke...nak buat model pakai board pun liat...hehehe. :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:37:21 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline logorithm

• Senior
  • Archi890
    • Just about anything lah...
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 01:36:25 AM »

I actually admire Yuri's attention to 'small things' like this.  He takes great distance to make sure things are done up nicely, and takes pride in doing it.  Way to go, Yuri.  Keep it up! ;)6

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 02:02:22 AM »

Masalahnye budak Archi pakai ke...nak buat model pakai board pun liat...hehehe. :P

jap, UTM KL require model making in the syllabus?
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline doctor_cox

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 02:06:32 AM »
I actually admire Yuri's attention to 'small things' like this.  He takes great distance to make sure things are done up nicely, and takes pride in doing it.  Way to go, Yuri.  Keep it up! ;)6

i think pride is good.

theres also this thing called hubris.

that said, i believe in standards. but i dont like to impose my standards on others (just like i dont like other impose standard on me). i think there are things where being pedas is more beneficial than being polite. this usually applies to non-practical things, like way of thinking, etc, benda2 yg abstrak. tapi untuk benda praktikal, yg pakai physical effort, its always better to take the high road, because even when u think the products shitty, somebody might have put their best effort in it even if u think it looks shitty. so i would be a bit more positive when being constructive.

cam ni lah. johnson can vouch for me, coz we did urban together: for our group townscape sketches i ended up taking the bigger load just because i wanted the presentation to have more continuity. i always hate presentation yg sketch style lain lain, nampak sgt too cut n paste. but i dont go around telling the other guy 'eh u nyer sketch saks lah thas why i dont wanna use biar aku buat sengsorang'. so i gave the other dudes different assignments.

maybe thats why im a poor manager.

but i digress.

point is, if putting up dwgs is the minimum requirement for a achitectural exhibition, then so be it. its up to the participant to work from there and as long as they feel they tried to maximize within the parameters of the task, id think the work should at least be acknowledge, if not applauded.

rather than being dismissed, which is basically what 'ek eleh tampal dwg jer' entails.

penat sial taip post panjang2 nih.

Offline logorithm

• Senior
  • Archi890
    • Just about anything lah...
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 02:39:10 AM »
Mak aih panjangnya Dr. Cox menaip! :D

Yes, I agree with you too.  You're absolutely right too about hubris.  Yuri does seem to be exerting certain standards on others, which might be good and not good.  I guess it depends on how 'the others' wanna see the point that Yuri is trying to say.  I'm actually beginning to see that all these Yuri's standards will actually encourage competition -- a competition between the two schools -- the two adik-beradik -- which is healthy.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:41:39 AM by logorithm »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »

Thank for the reminder Cox. You are absolutely right about hubris. I do have my own standards that I do also realize the good and bad when applied to others. I do also realized that i do have my own sets of weaknesses that I am not ashame to admit. However if the outcome is positive, why should you be ashamed of it, right? Go share it, let people criticizes, kutuk ke, puji ke...i don't mind..but isn't it wonderful how people react to what you did? And thou shall improve himself or the school onwards rather than sitting comfortably thinking you are good but you sebenarnya bermasalah. 

Nonetheless, regarding the exhibition.
Maybe from experience not pride, you tend to see that putting up drawings is just not enough. Not enough if you profoundly said 'what we did is the best'. Cukup syarat untuk sebuah school yang dah 25 tahun experience dalam pendidikan senibina.

Aku bukan nak poyo, cuma you expect lebih dari orang yang selalu kata diorang hebatkan?

Anyway, thanks Logo..

jap, UTM KL require model making in the syllabus?

Why not.. I am all into making.

Offline doctor_cox

• Senior
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »
just a commentary, masa time aku, CAD and animation had already proliferated into most students MO, and i suspect this had something to do with decline in physical installations to relate spatial quality.

im glad after i left the over reliance on CAD had a backlash, so these days we should see more balance efforts in terms of real/virtual presentations. i think both methods are valid depending on the designers preference/strength. but if its purely exhibition of material i.e. takde presentation, obviously the guy who relies on graphic is handicapped. but this issue does not affect the quality of the design/designer so lets not get waylaid by peripheral issues...too much.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
Balance is good. Maybe in a subliminal way, my message is to encourage other methods of making architecture rather then the over reliance to CAD and animation. And that over reliance has already taken its toll to quality.

However, in my own accord, students who rely on graphic will always be handicapped. Graphic in our own process of making is not a contributing factor to design..but rather than covering mistakes. This is not an act that you should allowed. Graphical presentation also, no matter how the best effort of constructing your 3D will alway be 2D (Unless you try the CJ LIM method).

I also don't agree in building things purely for the exhibition when you don't have an exhibition material in the first place. Which is the content. And when you don't have the content to put for exhibition, of course it does carry some sort of message to the quality of the designer/design.

Sebab tu sekali-lagi...aku tekankan, graphical students memang handicapped.

The issues is the same even though you did you design in manual. If you have a 'hands-on' process, in the making of your design. It is always better. The outcome is also better.

And how does this have to do with making exhibition? Good exhibitions are not about the end-product, they show process. How you make the design. And the various way of students making design will become...the exhibition. Therefore shows the content of the school. You have to Admire AA or Bartlett. They are into making not the final product.

Tetapi, bilamana as a pensyarah you arahkan student buat boards, graphic untuk exhibition semata-mata..you are instructing the students only to do graphic. All of the process...letak belakang. Ataupun takde process pun. Lebih concern pasal end-product. Memang salah-lah as an educator. In all the honesty of designing..you are teaching the student to present the end-product. 

And yes exhibition does gives some information on the quality of the school. If you love attending and making exhibition, you can tell.