Author Topic: The Future of City Campus.  (Read 6853 times)

Awan_Larat

The Future of City Campus.
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »
A lot of us (KL) had been wondering what is the future of City Campus.
And so, to clear things up our honorable VC, visits us today and told the coming future plan regarding City Campus.

Dlm jangka masa terdekat (after approval from Senate) City Campus will be known as 'The International City Campus, UTM'. CST-College of Science & Technology will be upgraded to offer 'ELITE DIPLOMA' in a small number of students and staff ratio. Further in the future there will be degree courses too. Myself, do not understand what is the meaning of 'ELITE DIPLOMA' but according to the VC, it will be the equalevent of 2nd Year KST to 3rd Year of other same courses. All courses are to be taught in ENGLISH as the main language, with a fair mix of International students(mainly from the Middle-East). KST will hold a different batch of students & lecturers. UTM planned to make KST in the image of The London Imperial College. Courses that involve heavy machinery might be transfered to Skudai.

RM 100 million had been awarded to City Campus for rebuilding with 60million allocated to KST. The building will be a 2nd Grade Budget Government Building (JKR kata 2nd grade mahal-betul ke?). Rasanye arkitek UTM buat kot...sigh..harap tak jadik mcm B11(3rd Grade-as i was told)..hehehehe..

So, boys & girls, don't worry about your future in KL. You will still be here, and our class is small anyway, so kita dah parellal le jugak.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:49:27 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline unfold

• Senior
Re: The Future of City Campus.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
Elite diploma sounds so snobbish.

What's the difference?

Awan_Larat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:34:45 PM »
Hehehe aku pun tak tau..bunyi poyo pun ade gak...hahaha, aku ingat kumpulan ELITE je. Tamparan Wanita? hahaha..

Tapi explaination VC kata subjects dan LO lagi payah kot? Lepas tu budak2 belajar  advanced one year dari program perdana, kat KL laie tough...Cambrige, Imperial College..all those gibberish yang ada makna tapi orang muda dalam UTM nih tak paham...so nak aku cerita pasal elite diploma nih aku pon tak tahu. Implikasinya adalah kat student, elite atau tidak, adalah reaksi industri/society terhadap graduan2. Sounds like branding. To do, remember first to have substance, jangan create benda yang tak ada dan atas angin. False impression adalah 'dosa besar' dalam academics, unless you are trying to make money.

Anyway,
Kita nih nak mengaku bagus, KL, Skudai ataupun mane2, adalah berdasarkan produk kita-STUDENT-ada substance ke ataupun tak boleh pakai.   

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:50:23 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline keLLisa

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »
hey there awan_larat..
can u explain to me how does the dip programme works?
i mean nanti as the students amik degree, will they be taking the 6 or 5 years programme?
you can close ur eyes from realities but not memoies

Awan_Larat

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »
Beza die senang je, The Diploma Students came straight from SPM, not through STPM and Matriks.

Compared by age, the Diploma Students(KL) are now doing Second Year Architectural Design as in The Degree Students(JB) are still in The Fundementals(First Year). The Course is 3 years(Award Advanced/Elite Diploma from UTM), and they continue (still in discussion-new batch) to 3rd year Second Sem in JB. Or depending on thier credit obtained, portfolio and reputation to other schools of Architecture-Degree in or outside Malaysia.

The Diploma Class is smaller, with the maximum of 30 Students for 4 Lecturers in whole class. They learn Architecture straight away in the first year/after SPM.
We do not practice the School of Thoughts ideology literally and follow the OLD-School Program Matrixs-Tapi kitorang mungkin berat kepada URBAN kot. I might say KL is like the hybrid of UTM-JB and UiTM  Shah Alam. More or less...The program is in a metamorphosis, could be 4 years (Part One)...

You are not allowed to use Computer not untill you are 2nd Year Second Sem-itu pun under strict supervision/kalau berani.Hehehe. Plus, kitorang kejam kat sini, conteng drawing, marah2 budak...hahahaTak nak cerita banyak, datang le tengok Pameran Portfolio.     
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:33:37 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »
Hah! More semantics! Just the thing our ailing education needs right now.

Why can't we address the existing problems before embarking on such novel ideas? Elite Diploma? That means the 'normal' diploma students would always come second best no matter what they do. Sounds double-standard to me.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Awan_Larat

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:12 PM »
Hah! More semantics! Just the thing our ailing education needs right now.

Why can't we address the existing problems before embarking on such novel ideas? Elite Diploma? That means the 'normal' diploma students would always come second best no matter what they do. Sounds double-standard to me.

That is the general idea, as explained by our VC, to put College of Science & Technology above all the rest private/government Colleges. But like i said earlier, whatever kind of BRANDING, it is the reputation by its students & lecturers that matters. So, tengok le nanti.

But Tanah, what do you mean by addressing the real problem in education?

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:20:21 AM »
Yup, exactly. It's the product that matters not the brand. Apa guna pakai seluar Levi's kalau ia selalu koyak di tgh jalan?

The real problem? Well, I don't think I'm in any position to tell you on this things. It's supposed to be the other way around, don't you think? Well anyway, the problems are widespread not just within the architectural realm but the whole Malaysian education as a whole...from 'sekolah rendah' up to tertiary. But that has been addressed to a certain degree in other threads previously, thus it wouldn't be practical to pursue it here.

In regards to architecture, I think your ramblings on superficiality and herd-mentality amongst others have hinted to the shortcomings of our architectural pedagogy. So, why sound so surprised?

Awan_Larat

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:56 AM »

In regards to architecture, I think your ramblings on superficiality and herd-mentality amongst others have hinted to the shortcomings of our architectural pedagogy. So, why sound so surprised?

Oh, itu yang ngkao maksudkan, thought you were saying otherwise, or i am being too defensive ..hehehe, i wish you could come to our portfolio review, but ngkoa kat Australia. Like i said earlier, brand le macam mane pun, janji kitorang kat sini jaga substance, tak superficial dan herd mentality yang ikut trend2 graphic sekarang. Branding tu is a plus, provided IF we are good/elite.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:35:46 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 05:02:59 AM »
Tu le pasal, kalau tidak teringin jugak aku nak tengok 'kelincahan' anak2 murid ko tu. Tapi aku takut le nak masuk UTM, nanti kantoi lagi dgn Pak Guard! Har! Har! Har!

Anyway, what bugs me the most about all this is the tendency of the powers that be to fall head over heels just to appeal to foreigners. Of course international recognition is vital and their influx could translate into economic gains. If it's the result of our genuine competency then I'm all for it. But if it's solely based on makeshift facade being erected for the foreigner's eye-candy.... than it is sad indeed.

I wonder why UTM doesn't want to improvise the existing diploma and transform it into this 'Elite Diploma' they desperately crave for, rather than creating a new one and ignoring the old. Wouldn't that be more economical and provident for all? Yes, for all... not just the 'elites' and foreigners.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »
Tu le pasal, kalau tidak teringin jugak aku nak tengok 'kelincahan' anak2 murid ko tu. Tapi aku takut le nak masuk UTM, nanti kantoi lagi dgn Pak Guard! Har! Har! Har!

Rambut panjang? Hmphh sedangkan aku tengah bela rambut mcm Josh Groban...apa nak takut...senyum dan angkat tangan je..hehehe!!!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:36:01 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline keLLisa

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 02:30:42 AM »
oh..
things are getting quite complicated..
kononnye nak abis cpat..
but yet its still the same with the previous 6 years syllabus
1 year matrix + 5 years UTM = 6 years!

furthermore nak ade elite diploma plak..
ish..ish..
you can close ur eyes from realities but not memoies

Awan_Larat

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:49:12 AM »

Hakikatnya Architecture Education memang takleh..nak cepat. 6 Tahun adalah paling  cepat. I dont believe in Architecture education that is only 5 years.

But the good news is, UTM-KL is soon to develop its first Part One BSc. So the Elite Diploma will evolve into a four year course-Part One. Student will be awarded a Bachelor of Science in Architecture. This is as per told by The Dean(AlamBina-Skudai) today.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15:33 AM »
architecture is a life-long education. must remember that. the first 5 years are just formalities, where the actual learning is out there in the industry. 5 years post STPM/a-levels or 6 years post SPM/o-levels is just a standard that we use to comply with each other, to give more or less equal opportunities for everyone to gain significant abilities in education.

I wonder why UTM doesn't want to improvise the existing diploma and transform it into this 'Elite Diploma' they desperately crave for, rather than creating a new one and ignoring the old. Wouldn't that be more economical and provident for all? Yes, for all... not just the 'elites' and foreigners.

i'm not sure i understand what u mean. as far as i recall, they're not making a new course. splitting a course into two? well probably (i'm not sure how it goes yet), but creating another diploma from scratch? i dont think so. we already did that when we split the diploma school out of skudai. but our main (unofficial) reason was to make diploma in KL the first step of moving the entire school back where it belongs. we'll let the top management retire first and forget about the move, then the next batch of people will be fed new information! god i love politics! hahahha!

the elite programme (or something similar) that i was told was quite different from what yuri have explained here. the elite programme (as discussed in the UTM KLCC development group back in 2005) is a programme geared for professional education. it's not for post SPM/STPM students, but rather, caters for professional people currently in the industry who're looking for a special training programme (most probably post grad certificates) to enhance themselves.

we see that a lot of datuk2 and transri2 out there seeking to "buy" additional degrees or even doctorates (those dumbasses!) from literally unknown and unrecognized universities such as irish international university, which apparently does not exist in ireland nor in the UK. so UTM now targets these people who're really interested in getting PROPER education and a recognized certificate. well, that was the plan 2 years back.

dr. hamdan and several other FAB academics including myself was part of the UTM KLCC planning committee, and we have derived several proposals to redo, adaptive reuse or rennovate UTM KL in 2005. the idea of the programme as well as other issues were brought to us back then, and we've worked on that for quite sometime. well, i've been off the group for 2 years. probably they've changed the idea of the elite programme to what yuri've said.

nvrmind, i'll check with hamdan and try and get meself updated.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 07:07:57 AM »
oh..
things are getting quite complicated..
kononnye nak abis cpat..
but yet its still the same with the previous 6 years syllabus
1 year matrix + 5 years UTM = 6 years!

furthermore nak ade elite diploma plak..
ish..ish..

There IS a difference.... we have 6 years of architecture experience in campus they only have 5...

Hakikatnya Architecture Education memang takleh..nak cepat. 6 Tahun adalah paling  cepat. I dont believe in Architecture education that is only 5 years.

architecture is a life-long education. must remember that. the first 5 years are just formalities, where the actual learning is out there in the industry. 5 years post STPM/a-levels or 6 years post SPM/o-levels is just a standard that we use to comply with each other, to give more or less equal opportunities for everyone to gain significant abilities in education.

But i think Yuri and aza (and Ar. Ridha) are right that studying architecture is not bout how fast you graduate... it's about what you learn and the experince that you get... i won;t be surprised if i'd suddenly decide to take one year off schooling and go travel or work for a year before i continue... but that's yet to be planned.

I've learnt more than just architecture in here... many things we learned is to be applied in life and many things we learn in life is to be applied in architecture....

About the elite diplome thingy.......... i wonder if my batch will stick around long enough to witness it.... personally, i prefer to stay here longer (the 4 year programme sound wonderful where we can get our part one in KL) i dun wanna go to skudai so fast....... one thing is that.. (haha!) cos it's furher away from my hometown... and i like the small campus here, everything is in (closer...) walking distance.
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 07:31:23 AM »
but our main (unofficial) reason was to make diploma in KL the first step of moving the entire school back where it belongs. we'll let the top management retire first and forget about the move, then the next batch of people will be fed new information! god i love politics! hahahha!

Err...which top management are you refering to? The one in KL or the one in Skudai? Anyway, sounds exciting. God, I love coup d'etat!

we see that a lot of datuk2 and transri2 out there seeking to "buy" additional degrees or even doctorates (those dumb asses!) from literally unknown and unrecognized universities such as Irish international university, which apparently does not exist in Ireland nor in the UK.

Gosh! Really? I never knew that!

i dun wanna go to skudai so fast....... one thing is that.. (haha!) cos it's furher away from my hometown... and i like the small campus here, everything is in (closer...) walking distance.

Don't fret my dear, Skudai is not that bad nowadays. Gone are the days of 'Bersatu Jaya' as the trendiest spot in town! Har! Har! Har! Don't have a clue do you? Go ask your lecturers...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:34:30 PM by segumpal_tanah »

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 08:19:22 AM »
Don't fret my dear, Skudai is not that bad nowadays. Gone are the days of 'Bersatu Jaya' as the trendiest spot in town! Har! Har! Har! Don't have a clue do you? Go ask your lecturers...

It's NOT bout that.... i'm the homey type where a book and a cup of tea can entertain me for hours. it's bout how FAR home is.. haha, weather it is just my room in the hostel or in my house....... i

've been to skudai on more than a couple of occassions, and have been broght around skudai... tho i'd say i like the hostels there better, the scenery is nice ^^ just what i like... but well, classes and he studio is much nearer to the hostels here. and KL is much nearer to seremban

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
aaah dont worry lah yuki. if u've been away alot, distance wont matter. the only thing u'll register is either "away" or "at home". u'll get through it.

or u can try UM. but u'll join 2nd year, means u've got another 4 years to go.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »

my gang buat masa urban dulu. So korang pun ada buat kan tunjuk ah.

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
ya, Zamzuri also did that for his masters. we still have his model here.

btw, isn't that squarish peice of land with two buildings supposed to belong to the jabatan pemetaan negara, of is it gonna be part of UTM's land later?

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna