Author Topic: The Future of City Campus.  (Read 6653 times)

Awan_Larat

Re: The Future of City Campus.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 09:42:32 PM »

Ohh... i would love for Architecture to occupied the IBS building. Bangunan tu uplift sikit, boleh nampak Fosterish.

Offline keLLisa

• Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:50 AM »
There IS a difference.... we have 6 years of architecture experience in campus they only have 5...

But i think Yuri and aza (and Ar. Ridha) are right that studying architecture is not bout how fast you graduate... it's about what you learn and the experince that you get... i won;t be surprised if i'd suddenly decide to take one year off schooling and go travel or work for a year before i continue... but that's yet to be planned.

I've learnt more than just architecture in here... many things we learned is to be applied in life and many things we learn in life is to be applied in architecture....

some of us from matrix experience 6 years in campus..(5 years in UTM + 1 year learning nothing in matrix..haiyo..)

n some of us had 2 years of STPM + 5 years in UTM..
that's gonna be 7 years overall..

yeah me too..
i choose experience rather than being fast forward..
but yet somebody has got to do something bout the education system for architecture UTM for the sake of the students..
so tht there wont be much difference between UTM skudai n UTMKL..
heheh..
that's what i think lar..
you can close ur eyes from realities but not memoies

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 12:37:34 AM »
yeah me too..
i choose experience rather than being fast forward..
but yet somebody has got to do something bout the education system for architecture UTM for the sake of the students..
so tht there wont be much difference between UTM skudai n UTMKL..
heheh..
that's what i think lar..

what do u mean?

make the study duration the same? i think the whole point of having UTM KL is to give an alternative study route to potential students to choose from. u can study straight away into diploma from UTM, but there's still a 1 year work experience requirement (i'm not sure whether it's compulsory or preferred, i'll check later) before joining UTM degree. this path is for those who're into technical/practical approach.

UTM skudai now caters for post pre-U studies (STPM/A-levels/matrics). those doing matrics would be saving a year, but STPM would be 7 years. at the moment, only overseas students could join UTM with A-levels, but i'm pretty sure they'll open it for local students as well in the future. this path is for those who're going for the unified training of an architect.

u must understand what's the difference between the curriculums of UTM KL and UTM skudai. the diploma trains the students in the technical ways, grounding their understandings on delivering final product with strong technical know-hows. these skills will be assessed at the end of 3rd year.

in UTM skudai, u'll be trained in those skills as well, but it will not be assessed until end of 5th year. this allows u to develop those technical skills in a longer duration (literally 5 years), where u could either pick it up early 1st/2nd year, or later 3rd/4th year. ofcourse, this would be reflected in the grades u'd receive, but then again, UTM skudai is adapating a constructivist approach in education, where students are given more freedom to choose what they want to learn.

u'll see that students from msian education system wont be ready for this kind of approach. schools have taught u a banking/didactic way of learning, where u collect as many information as u can without making sense  with any of it. hopefully u'd get to use it in the future. what UTM skudai is adapting might kill some students, but we're doing that for the sake of education in its entirety. UTM KL might follow suite, but we're still studying the effects of the constructivist approach in UTM skudai first...
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:19 AM »
Actually Aza, the duration would be the same with those doing Matriks, as per the Metamorphosis of UTM KL's Credit-Transfer/Design Studio Content and the comments from portfolio panel yesterday, KL students might go into JB at 3rd Year/Second Sem. It depends on the first batch as the 'Standard' for future comings in KL. You know that the first batch always sets the standards. Kalau kat JB, standard ngkorang adalah berdasarkan batch pertama, yg juniors semua follow.

u must understand what's the difference between the curriculums of UTM KL and UTM skudai. the diploma trains the students in the technical ways, grounding their understandings on delivering final product with strong technical know-hows. these skills will be assessed at the end of 3rd year.

in UTM skudai, u'll be trained in those skills as well, but it will not be assessed until end of 5th year. this allows u to develop those technical skills in a longer duration (literally 5 years), where u could either pick it up early 1st/2nd year, or later 3rd/4th year. ofcourse, this would be reflected in the grades u'd receive, but then again, UTM skudai is adapating a constructivist approach in education, where students are given more freedom to choose what they want to learn.

Betul ke Aza? Hehehe..Come on dude, updated yourself, the internet does not present you the whole reality of what you said or perceive from Sheffield. We can claim a million things, but what matters is, have you seen it in your own eyes!

JB is not revolutionizing the Pedagogy, more of less following suite all Architecture Schools in Malaysia.

One of the interesting comments we've got from the Portfolio Panel is that almost all Architecture Schools in Malaysia are now taking the 'Glamorous' approach of Architecture Education to fantastic, glossy, philosophized form makings. Likewise the grounded, practicality of Architecture in its Common Sense are thrown out the window. So, UTM-KL is still defending its tecnical DOGMA 'Old-School' and seen as 'The renegade' towards all other Architecture Schools in its contemporary settings. And that was a compliment. Plus the KL students are equalevent to one semester higher to JB. Those are not my words, but the Portfolio Panel.

Sebenarnya beza dia banyak dan ketara wahai keLLisa. Tapi takde sorang pun daripada Johor Bharu datang nak tengok perbezaan tu. So, too bad.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 02:32:18 AM »
Actually Aza, the duration would be the same with those doing Matriks, as per the Metamorphosis of UTM KL's Credit-Transfer/Design Studio Content and the comments from portfolio panel yesterday, KL students might go into JB at 3rd Year/Second Sem. It depends on the first batch as the 'Standard' for future comings in KL. You know that the first batch always sets the standards. Kalau kat JB, standard ngkorang adalah berdasarkan batch pertama, yg juniors semua follow.

the standard of the school is based on the latest batch. not the first batch. it's in the accreditation assessment scheme. u can refer to the ISO specifications.

but then again, it's up to degree school to decide. two weeks ago i talked to dr. syed and he did mention a work experience requirement. like i said, i'll check on that, so dont jump to conclusions just yet.
Betul ke Aza? Hehehe..Come on dude, updated yourself, the internet does not present you the whole reality of what you said or perceive from Sheffield. We can claim a million things, but what matters is, have you seen it in your own eyes!

JB is not revolutionizing the Pedagogy, more of less following suite all Architecture Schools in Malaysia.

whatever makes u happy, yuri. i have a better view on what's going on from far away, and u know that.

i've grown not to rely on anything u've said, as u tend to only pick the stuff that suits ur purpose. UTM skudai is just a phone call away, yuri, and i've been in close contact with them. u also have the tendency to only pick the worst in UTM skudai and compare it with the best in UTM KL. but i just dont feel like going that low, so that's that.

UTM KL is still following the old syllabus. we agreed that way. no sense of being renegade or going against the flow there. it's a stationary benchmark to measure where we're going or how far.

ur blatant attempts at judging others are weak, yuri. to ur eyes, no one is as good as u are. for that, aku malas nak layan.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
Well Aza, maybe i was being rude out of the excitement, nonetheless you should check the works in JB before you said or confidently claim to what you have wrote. I took the effort to compare works for i think it is important on how you place yourself among other architecture schools, with UiTM, UIA. And i didn't compare alone to avoid prejudice and biasness.

ur blatant attempts at judging others are weak, yuri. to ur eyes, no one is as good as u are. for that, aku malas nak layan.

I am not good like you..., infact i always put myself in the fire to be shoot at for criticism in Tanggam. I am not  afraid of such comments. Relek le Aza, this is my first attempt of judging what you are saying...takkan dah give-up hehehe...

but then again, it's up to degree school to decide. two weeks ago i talked to dr. syed and he did mention a work experience requirement. like i said, i'll check on that, so dont jump to conclusions just yet.

Well, i was told yang KL jangan nak 'over' dari JB..hehehehe. We can never be better than JB. Nanti orang JB marah. Quite unfair isn't it?. But then again like you said, don't jump to conclusion yet. However, I can feel that stigma from your statement above. Sigh*

Just remember, kalau budak-budak nih masuk 2nd Year kat JB, malu-besar le senior-senior diorang nanti. Right now,  it's fair for them to be in 4th or 3rd year(of course diorang pergi practical traning dulu dari JB). That is my own prerogative. Feel free to criticise. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:43:37 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 07:58:12 PM »
a competition is better. If 2 FAB compete with each other in terms of creating good architect and designer... both side win. No matter if one is better than the other.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 11:48:45 PM »
Well Aza, maybe i was being rude out of the excitement, nonetheless you should check the works in JB before you said or confidently claim to what you have wrote. I took the effort to compare works for i think it is important on how you place yourself among other architecture schools, with UiTM, UIA. And i didn't compare alone to avoid prejudice and biasness.

I am not good like you..., infact i always put myself in the fire to be shoot at for criticism in Tanggam. I am not  afraid of such comments. Relek le Aza, this is my first attempt of judging what you are saying...takkan dah give-up hehehe...

Well, i was told yang KL jangan nak 'over' dari JB..hehehehe. We can never be better than JB. Nanti orang JB marah. Quite unfair isn't it?. But then again like you said, don't jump to conclusion yet. However, I can feel that stigma from your statement above. Sigh*

Just remember, kalau budak-budak nih masuk 2nd Year kat JB, malu-besar le senior-senior diorang nanti. Right now,  it's fair for them to be in 4th or 3rd year(of course diorang pergi practical traning dulu dari JB). That is my own prerogative. Feel free to criticise. 

fair enough.

i dont mind competition, and i really dont mind if the students are really that good. my method of making my students better are always by comparing with the best of others and improve themselves against them, rather than comparing with the worst and make themselves feel better by convincing that those are really the worst ever. hence i dont attempt to compare the quality of life in msia with indonesia or vietnam (like most of our politicians do).

i dont believe there is such a thing as "KL jangan nak over dari JB". it's either dumb or somebody's idea of a lame joke. if the students are really good, good for UTM, good for u, good for all of us. we dont even mind giving them direct entry to 3rd year 2nd sem if it warrants so.

but like i said before, the standard is not set by the 1st batch. standard changes, the first batch is merely an instrument of measurement. UTM KL is using the old UTM curriculum which have been tried and tested. we all know what kind of students they'll produce, becoz most of us ARE the product of that system ;). UTM KL dont need to prove themselves anything, but making them even better is their own prerogative lah.

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 11:12:05 PM »
wah. dengar2 logo cst yuri terpilih.

logo aku kalah hwaaaa....

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 07:42:04 PM »
hehe.. well, i've seen your logo atta, i liked it ^^ hehe, haven't seen yur's so i can't compare.......

Grats anyways Yuri upon puting your mark in the CST for the rest of its life....
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »
camana nak tengok logo?

Awan_Larat

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »
Atta, i think yours got saguhati..RM 50, and Intan's dapat second-RM 150 under Mr.K's name.

The logo is not final, biasale banyak comment dari orang...but i'm trying to defend the original.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:48:38 PM by Awan_Larat »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 11:55:18 PM »
This is the extended tagline to its meaning.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

Good news everyone!, all Diploma program in KL is going to evovle into a Degree Program, offering a Bsc, in the future. UTM KL will evovle into something like The School of Architecture & Urban Design. I'll guess Urban Architecture will be the identity of KL kids.   

Offline man

• Fresh!
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
are you saying that the kl diploma students will be extending their study years

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
man, i do hope so

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 03:10:08 PM »
No, lads. I don't think the diploma will be extended. I think what Yuri meant is that the diplomas would be somewhat banished remaining only degrees to be offered. Eventhough it wouldn't be offered, but the diploma programme would still exists! Under a different name of course...which would then be known as Bsc. Name je tukar!

I might be wrong, am I Yuri?
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »
all degrees in msia has been standardized according to the international standard. it means that degree candidates must go through some form of pre-university course, commonly STPM or A-levels (which is what we see now, and why the huge revamp in UTM's and UiTM's education format). alternatively, they can sit for foundation, IB or any equivalent pre-u certificates; or a diploma which allows a student to usually skip 1st year entirely.

meaning, even if the diploma is converted into degree, the current students might probably not benefit from the change, primarily bcoz they never sat for a pre-u course, hence they wont have enough accumulated credits to graduate their degrees.

so the way for them to do it is to let the current students finish off their diplomas, and only apply the new degree format to the new batch of student.

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
Yes, applying the new 'policies' unto the new batch does make sense. This reminds me during halfway through diploma when the-then head of department decided to 'increase the bar' in order to graduate. This I refer to the sudden redundancy of all C- grades for all passed subjects. This ultimately means that eventhough the students have passed any given subject with such grade, they would have to re-do the whole course eventhough they didn't fail! So what's the point of passing a subject if they still have to do it again to achieve better grades? Why not just raise the passing grade to C then?

I know this is old news and doesn't really apply to the current context. But still it resonates with how the department should execute any new and coming changes. Because to pay for mistakes that we didn't make is totally agonising and unfair to say the least.

p/s: Lagipun aku salah sorang dari student2 yg terpaksa ambik balik subjek2 C- tu! Tension sungguh!
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »
look at the bright side. this encouges you to be an A student and not just a PASSING stident. it's always dangerous to be at the margin. Studies is like a rising river and all students are in it. if u get good grades, your head's free above the water. failing means sinking! if u just pass, your nose is right above water level. the rick is... the water level might rise anytime and those who are at a higher level are always safe... ^^ work hard la then. don't be content with just PASS

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna