Author Topic: PAUSE & REWIND, Portfolio Exihibition 2007, UTM KL  (Read 13212 times)

Awan_Larat

Re: PAUSE & REWIND, Portfolio Exihibition 2007, UTM KL
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
'Abang Jim' is trying to be cute...

I was at JB for the weekend. Sempat tengok portfolio, wandering around studio 2nd Year(which is your 3rd year to KL/old school standards). Took a lot of pictures. Can't wait to show all of you, as a boast of confidence. The more reasons i am exited about our portfolio exhibition..hehehe. Nonetheless, by 'technological tools' these kids are great. Well, what is technology without a heart and a brain.

See you this monday..ARCO'nians.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 04:57:31 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 02:20:35 AM »
'Abang Jim' is trying to be cute...

I was at JB for the weekend. Sempat tengok portfolio, wandering around studio 2nd Year(which is your 3rd year to KL/old school standards). Took a lot of pictures. Can't wait to show all of you, as a boast of confidence. The more reasons i am exited about our portfolio exhibition..hehehe. Nonetheless, by 'technological tools' these kids are great. Well, what is technology without a heart and a brain.

See you this monday..ARCO'nians.

so what u're saying is that, the 2nd year kids got no brain?
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline redscarlett

• Junior
    • http://deeya-scarlett.tripod.com
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 02:40:06 AM »
come on awan..answer that.. :)
i am a bird with wings. because i have dreams. and i never let dreams die.

Offline jim7

• Senior
    • http://myspace.com/rhythminscreammusic
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 03:25:30 AM »
huhuhuhuhu 'war of the world' ....
wish one of the miss singapore 2007 finalist can come in between and wave her hand ; "world peace"
bla bla bla

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10:59 AM »
mmm  degree space tak dikira dalam asociation ke? rasa macam tersisih je.....

Awan_Larat

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
Takde le Aza, for us from KL yang tak terror design dan lecturer diorang yang tersalah ajar, i ada high expectation le. Brain..of course diorang ada. Diorangkan lebih smart dan advanced dari KL.

Ahh malas nak explain further...SEING IS BELIEVING.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:11:27 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »
Takde le Aza, for us from KL yang tak terror design dan lecturer diorang yang tersalah ajar, i ada high expectation le. Brain..of course diorang ada. Diorangkan lebih smart dan advanced dari KL.

Ahh malas nak explain further...SEING IS BELIEVING.

kalau ye pun spell ler betul2...

anyway, takde sapa label bebudak KL tak "terror" design. u impose that on urself. kalau lecturer diorang "tersalah ajar", it goes on the lecturer, not the students.

skrg ni bebudak tahun 2 ni ramai yg nak tahu what u really mean. itu jer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:20:15 PM by azarimy »
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »
Hold on, kids! The rollercoaster of sarcasm is coming your way!
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Awan_Larat

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
kalau lecturer diorang "tersalah ajar", it goes on the lecturer, not the students.

That goes vice versa AZA...hati-hati bila buat statement, jangan termakan dengan kata-kata sendiri.

skrg ni bebudak tahun 2 ni ramai yg nak tahu what u really mean. itu jer.

Anyway, regardless my sarcasm, i think bebudak terlalu concertrate dengan presentation sampai substance design hambar. Space planning teruk, context(some of you are in urban!!! its not acceptable tak lukis context), dan architectonic banyak yang tak resolve. Most of the projects invovled Single Programmatic fuctions. To design a S-PGRM is easy compared to M-PGRM. Yet in space planning berterabur. Paling runsing bilamana 3D Skecth-Up ngkorang digunakan sebagai Plan dan Elevation. Ada yang tak tally dengan plan, section, elevation. Construction tak resolve-bangunan runtuh. 

First impression memang gempak dengan graphic yang hebat(colours & stuff), drawing semua printed. Infact i don't see any manual drawings. 3D Sketch banyak giler. I'm sure your understanding dan philosophical concept are phenomenal, so i assume banyak yg takde masa nak develop design. So, these are my two cents. Jangan marah.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:15:58 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2007, 09:51:32 PM »
First impression memang gempak dengan graphic yang hebat(colours & stuff), drawing semua printed. Infact i don't see any manual drawings. 3D Sketch banyak giler. I'm sure your understanding dan philosophical concept are phenomenal, so i assume banyak yg takde masa nak develop design.

Aha! Luka lama berdarah kembali! The debate on manual vs computerized drawings resurfaces! It was getting alarming during my time and this was when AutoCAD and photoshop painted drawings were considered as luxury items! Let alone Sketchup/3ds Max models. So I can't exactly comprehend how 'computerized' / 'virtualized' the students are nowadays. Sure, technology is a tool worth exploiting but who's exploiting who?

Anyway, is that really the case Aza?

Now I know how En.Zambri must have felt when students persistently go for organic forms rather than 'boring' squares & rectangles.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Awan_Larat

Re: Portfolio Sneak Peeks
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2007, 11:57:05 PM »
Sneak Peeks...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 12:25:55 AM by Awan_Larat »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 02:11:23 AM »

Anyway, is that really the case Aza?

Not exactly...blaming the tool is completely ignorant & idiotic. I saw a work of 100percent hand-drawn that is also superficial equal to computer. I blame how the student is taught to use the tool.  If the morality of understanding a tool is exploited in a superficial way, thus the outcome is superficial.

The argument is parallel when Frank Lyodd Wright wrote about The Properties of Material, and Corbusier's idealism of Concrete. It is all about about substance not its superficiality. The master morality of UTM has always been about Architectural Substance(good planning/architectonic/constructibilaty). If by typical commercial superficalialty uses graphic presentation as their niche, why should we bent to the 'will'.   

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 02:23:50 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 03:41:40 AM »
Not exactly...blaming the tool is completely ignorant & idiotic. I saw a work of 100percent hand-drawn that is also superficial equal to computer. I blame how the student is taught to use the tool.  If the morality of understanding a tool is exploited in a superficial way, thus the outcome is superficial.

The argument is parallel when Frank Lyodd Wright wrote about The Properties of Material, and Corbusier's idealism of Concrete. It is all about about substance not its superficiality. The master morality of UTM has always been about Architectural Substance(good planning/architectonic/constructibilaty). If by typical commercial superficalialty uses graphic presentation as their niche, why should we bent to the 'will'.   

although i do agree that the tool usually influences the user (rather than the ideal of user controlling the tool), it should be made known that teaching computer as a tool has never been an official part of the education paradigm. students are not taught, hence they "explore" and find the usability themselves. this is where the tool eventually leads the user (during these explorations).

i understand the predicament, but to us (lecturers who're digitally inclined), we dont see computers as a problem just as pencils are never a problem to architects. UTM's pedagogies have shifted from direct prescription of education to a wider, open ended system similar to western education system. students are allowed to explore any means they feel necessary to deliver their ideas.

some of them subscribe to the typical "visually nice, substantially poor" product, but the content would still be reflected in the grades. if it's good, they'll get good grades. i believe most of the lecturers in UTM are already more than capable in deciphering aesthetically clad drawings and undressing them to bare the real design underneath, thanks to dr. rashid's system.

i've made this mistake in looking at a portfolio superficially when i visited USM. yes, their works are very, very visually cantik, but some of them lack substance. i voiced my opinion, which the reply was "that's why most of them got B-". meaning, dont worry about the visually driven students if the grade reflect the substance. it's when the grades doesn't, then we should worry.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52:40 AM »
Seeing is believing Aza,...seeing is believing...

If by understanding the word 'exploring' what is the sake? of blind it is. This is how i look it, to explore you need a map, a compass and direction, plus more important of all, what is your sake of exploring, if by 'syok sendiri', 'suka-suka' and contemporary confirmist act...it is superficial.

The same parallel argument of Wright, kita nih hamba kepada material yang kita pakai atau kita adalah 'master craftsmen' yang manipulate the material to our will. So, adakah prinsip argumentnya dalam education senibina sama? or we asians did not understand clearly how a tool is use only to the point that is serve 'as a sake of using it' fashionable?

Like i said, Architect are never 'syok sendiri'. Likewise the bastardization of the word 'explore' has made it syok sendiri. If you are free, read Noam Chomsky. 

Bila kita samakan pemikiran dan education senibina sama dengan orang Barat, i think that is wrong, for FREEDOM of expression is truly understand by layers of levels, into the children that we taught.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:25:05 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 04:26:52 AM »
well, one thing u should know, explorative and confirmists doesnt go together in education. refer constuctivist approach in education.

well, u seem for sure have ur own ideals that u wish to follow. good part is, nobody has to conform to ur ideals ;)

Awan_Larat

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »

Untuk kita yang duduk buat argument pasal isu nih, persoalannya adakah tangan yang mencapai dan mengangkat pelajar2 tersebut, betul2 tercapai dan mereka (student) paham apa yang kita hendak sampaikan?

At the end of the day, regardless what or how the approach is? It is still a phyrric victory. My take is change the 'master morality' you change everyone.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 04:42:50 AM »
well, that's assuming there IS a master guiding the students.

i still dont quite understand what u're poking on. UTM's pedagogy have shifted from teacher centered learning to a more less individualistic system. there arent much of a tutor teaching the students step by step anymore as compared to 4-5 years ago. early on, we've established a system which is the design matrix. the objectives and LOs are established prior to the formation of the studio programme. so the function of the tutors are merely as visages to guide the students through the path rather than a mentor that walks them through it.

hence my earlier explanation of "self-exploration". ofcourse, since u prefer to guide the students themselves bit by bit, it's ur prerogative. but doesnt this make u a master of ur students? my take is, practice what u preach.

Offline tawel

• The Sword Bearer from Hell...
  • Senior
  • ..will swept through the rank of riff raff.
    • 3dlinks.com
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 08:05:03 AM »
since you guys can diferentiate and detect a bad planning or bad design, hidden behind good graphic... why cant you just give them a 'C' or failed them? whu still argue? we all know computer is a tools.. we also know great thing can be produce by using them, but we also know that u can cheat with computer.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 09:33:40 AM »
since you guys can diferentiate and detect a bad planning or bad design, hidden behind good graphic... why cant you just give them a 'C' or failed them? whu still argue? we all know computer is a tools.. we also know great thing can be produce by using them, but we also know that u can cheat with computer.

well C has been given to lots of those "pretentious" designs, which is my point earlier on. yuri is reiterating his concerns that if the trend continues, it would reflect badly on the school. but i'm pretty sure the 2nd years (or perhaps the 4th years as well) would be more than willing to explain their designs here...

Awan_Larat

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 07:01:20 PM »
Pameran Bermula ESOK!!! Sila Datang!