Author Topic: project 3...community center  (Read 5862 times)

Awan_Larat

Re: project 3...community center
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »

A good presentation drawing contains all the information as per detailed in your LEARNING OUTCOMES. If all substance are tally to the LO, your Presentation Drawing is good-well at least for the first impression, design is 'skin deep'. 

Awan_Larat

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 07:37:22 PM »
I have experience looking at drawings that is beautiful but had no meaning. Uncover the colors, pictures & fonts-what you have is a bad design. You can fail.

Remember, remember, remember...

You must DRAW right & correct, do justices to section, plan and elevation line-weight, not forgetting the correctness of your drawing. Graphic is compulsory, but must be sensible. It is your drawings & design that makes the whole presentation, not an irrelevant background or swarms of fonts.

So, Good Luck!!!!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 07:40:19 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 02:52:46 AM »
u should also tell them what each drawing represents.

take for example one of the images that u've put up. go into detail on each drawing/object presented on that particular piece of paper. it's proven that both student and experts look at the same drawing, but pickup different things (thomas dutton 1991). we might show them a good composition and clarity, but the student picks up the graphical horizontal bar at the bottom of the drawing, as well as the minute text that forms part of the description, but barely readable from 2 feet away.

each image selected must have a reason of why it needs to be there. if told "u must put as much information in there" will lead the students to put whatever junk they managed to cut and paste from the internet.

when u put a section, u must put it there for a reason, not bcoz the brief says so. a section shows the interior of the building in relations with its context, volume, space usage and vertical distribution. some students just put up a blank section that defeats the entire purpose of putting up a section at all.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:55:21 AM by azarimy »
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »

Attention Kids...
This your marking scheme...

Clarity of Idea & Concept
Student understanding & research?
Conceptual analysis, studies to site context.
Student approach to design and precedent studies.
Is the concept imperative, clearly articulate and communicate?-25

Appropriateness to Design
Space planning & layout represent continuation to idea/concept?
Technical considerations, structural proposals & built design.
Architectonic means.
Technical details & appropriateness.
Process documentation-prototyping, drawing, working models, sketches?-40

Architectonic Richness
Does the design withstand closer scrutiny, possess layers of meaning?
Does the technical makings contribute richness to design.
How the building does contribute its existence to the context?-25

Presentation             
Verbal clarity & articulation
Aesthetic levels of care/model craft & drawings-10

Awan_Larat

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »
Hey, manage to get some digital submission, since Tanggam folks love 3D & graphic...enjoy & feel free to say anything. So.. inilah kerja-kerja bebudak tuh. Community Center. aku akan letak semua, the good & the bad.

3D mamat nih ingatkan aku kat si Jim7 buat dulu. hehehe.  ;)6
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 09:29:38 PM by Awan_Larat »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Photo-montage-morphosis style.

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »
Bukan montage je style Morphosis, design pun nak same daa... Reminds me of Diamond Ranch School (or was it Diamondback? Lupa ah!) in the States with a tint of Sun Tower in Seoul. Nice presentation anyway....much better than what I could manage back then.

So what's your verdict of this one Yuri?
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Awan_Larat

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »
Shhh...cannot tell le Tanah,.. He is an unoficial protege of Thom Maine-suka betul kat Morphosis, hahaha :lol:...OK la, bagi aku, agak payah nak faham substance Morphosis dan design, in essence parallel tapi tetap kepunyaan dia sendiri.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:30:40 PM by Awan_Larat »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 11:00:06 PM »

This is another 3D attempt of visualizing the building on site. Siap dengan interior. Diorang nih..cuba le pakai angle lain. nih semua guna sama je..hehehe..

Awan_Larat

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 11:07:07 PM »

Cuma a few students sahaja yang buat 3D Max. I suppose nanti next Sem akan compulsory semuat KENA buat 3D renderings. 

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
Mak aih... gile maju bebudak sekarang! I don't know about the design, but the renderings are damn good!

Gone are the days of pen-coloured perspectives on Zhi Sien/Rainbow printed presentation sheets!

Awan_Larat

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
Whoa, hold your horses!!!, this is only, 3D renderings, not Design. Aku anggap benda2 nih sebagai suplementary SAHAJA. Bukan core-value. Still, i love the pen-colored perspectives on Zhi Shen Presentation Sheets. Strong foundation and subtance, dari pencil ke pen ke mouse. Small steps...

You can only do your 3D renderings once your design is SOLID, SENSIBLE & STRONG in its Architectonic sense. Kalau tidak ada le section, plan yang macam pakai GAM je untuk construction Utterly useless design. 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 02:17:00 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline namiaz

• Regular
    • http://www.righthandfingers.com
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 05:06:19 AM »
SOLID, SENSIBLE & STRONG ????

Not being nosy, but if i remember, one of my studio mates did a thesis on this site 3 years ago (USM), at the same site all the way to the wet market. I walked her from the Jetty to KOMTAR just to understand the urban context. Did you? Tell me... is that the best you could derive as a product (base on the 3d)? In my humble opinion, I think the heritage council of penang would throw their guidlines at ur head before u could even propose it if they see all this. U've just tampered on one of Penangs most important heritage trails... tsk tsk tsk. dahla urban... adoi... blom lagi nak ckp pasal product, niat pon dah bertrabor!!
I came, I read and I said... "I'll reply¬  when I reply"[/size][/b][/i]

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
Not being nosy, but if i remember, one of my studio mates did a thesis on this site 3 years ago (USM), at the same site all the way to the wet market. I walked her from the Jetty to KOMTAR just to understand the urban context. Did you? Tell me... is that the best you could derive as a product (base on the 3d)

I believe you've just answered your own question there, bro.... I mean the examples above are of a diploma level (2nd/3rd year) which is a couple of steps below final year thesis level. Needless to say that the requirements would be different. But I do agree with your urban concerns though.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 12:31:02 AM »
SOLID, SENSIBLE & STRONG ????

Not being nosy, but if i remember, one of my studio mates did a thesis on this site 3 years ago (USM), at the same site all the way to the wet market. I walked her from the Jetty to KOMTAR just to understand the urban context. Did you? Tell me... is that the best you could derive as a product (base on the 3d)?

Hrmm, interesting Namiaz..You would say that the design above is not good? Considering these kids are only second-year/second sem(straight from SPM)-to deal with a site that bears much complexity is over-whelming. Wow i thought i was mean..hehehe. Don't be too single minded, kalau Pompidue Center adalah contoh terbaik? Why so uptight about this particular approach?

In my humble opinion, I think the heritage council of penang would throw their guidlines at ur head before uU've just tampered on one of Penangs most important heritage trails... tsk tsk tsk. dahla urban... adoi... blom lagi nak ckp pasal product, niat pon dah bertrabor!! could even propose it if they see all this.

It matters to me if you could explain more in detail what you meant to the bold letters i highlight. Please do?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:33:14 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline namiaz

• Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 03:24:43 AM »
There are two types of students, those who grab what they can find, those who wait for it in a platter... lets just say this will be amongst many catalyst that would push u to proceed to part 2 of ur program, and ultimately will help u decide what thesis subject u intend to pursue. Was that so hard to assume segumpul_tanah?

heres a hint, go to the Heritage Council of Jln. McCalister (A branch of MPPP). Its located near KOMTAR behind the tokong cima, u wont miss it from Penang Bridge. They have specific requiremants and manuals u can adhere to if your're interested in uping the ante. They may not throw it at you, but if you do want to create a good project, try be a little more concerned about its backgrounds, surroundings and requiremants, the challenging part is having what you want whilst preserving the rules. No harm pushing yourself with a little challenge. You learn more is all tht matters.

OOOOOOooooOOoO.... Straight from SPM.... I was being a little enthusiastic. If you're interested in testing your metal, or understanding this branch of architecture which I think is a good oppurtunity, then I suggest you start with this project with a little more enthusiasm as my post was earlier. Its a good experience and you'll learn the dramas behind a UNESCO acknowledge site. Mana tau one day you're working in Penang and u guys will speacialize in conservation or infills. Dont talk about Pompidou like it was located next door... (I'm not surprised one bit this was brought up) be a little more realistic, differant places differant criterias, differant councils. I assume there was a reason for a site visit. Its one thing being single minded, its worst when its shallow right AWAN_LARAT
"Student approach to design and precedent studies. Is the concept imperative, clearly articulate and communicate?".

Lets just say your post of the brief got me a little excited, and dismayed with where its was all heading. Put aside thesis and all... this is valuable knowledge peeps... its not everyday ure gonna get this oppurtunity to work on a famous heritage site. Thats all im trying to say. Wish u guys could come back, n ill show u what u should be looking at ;-)

If it helps, take it from a guy whose been working with various urban projects in Penang and a few of them heritage.

PS: If anyones close to VERITAS... try get in touch with Eric Tham, or visit their office, in Penang, they did a really good proposal for the Weld Quay Harbour walk. Hint: Dont judge a book by its cover... ;-) (Its not swettenham Pier nor the church st. Pier, its in between) BTW If he asks you whether u have a tattoo dont answer or say no, coz it an invitation by him to show his tattoos. We dont need people taking of their shirts n pants. hahahahh

Currently ERA3, previously Akitek Rekabina Penang, has a proposal which they worked with my friend who was doing her thesis. Of course bende ni dah 3 tahun lepas and I dont know whose pulling strings at the momment, but maybe you should visit them for a little background n their findings of tht site. Ask for Ar. Zulkarnain.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:47:28 AM by namiaz »

Offline namiaz

• Regular
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 03:25:37 AM »
owh one more if u need photos, i can post em here. I think I got a few from my recent trails... just tell me where n what

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 06:20:33 AM »
we did have a seminar by PM bashri the third week into our project. i stil have my notes.... seems there are MANY ways to design in a heritage site... He did offer a few suggestions and guidline.
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Awan_Larat

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 08:25:32 PM »
This site is very personal to you huh Namaiz? Hehehehe.....Hence the critical criticism on the designs, which i welcome very much. 

I think you should give the students the benefit of doubt to their concepts and ideas, for it is my mistake to put the pictures (graphic) without the proper plan and idea. If you are able to listen or follow more-over analyze their approach to design, concept..maybe you would see that they did adhere problems and sensitivity to Kapitan Kling.

"Student approach to design and precedent studies. Is the concept imperative, clearly articulate and communicate?".

And yes, those designs by the 3D's that i post does bear good sensible approach from substance to skin. There are MANY ways of designing in a heritage site.   

We are aware of the critical sensitiveness of the site, so does the Heritage Council guidelines and approach which the students 'xerox' at the Heritage Council's Office right behind Syed Al-Attas Mansion. They did also spend 3 Days investigating the site, town trails & urban studies. Likewise by rules of Majlis Agama Islam Penang, that site is a 'KUBUR' . hehehe...But i have to remind you, this is an exercise and they don't learn URBAN DESIGN yet. They are not '4th year'. Hehehe...

Nonetheless, thank you-if you could input them earlier that would be swell. Project pun dah tamat...

Offline nyonya_tan

• sambal petai lover
  • Senior
    • complexities and contradictions
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 01:36:47 AM »
Well still after the project dah tamat pun I think Namiaz's points are valid, even though maybe it was just based on the 3d images that Awan had posted earlier on and not a thorough understanding of the basis behind the projects themselves (which was understandable sebab it wasn't included).

I'd suggest that the students read his comments and learn from them, even after the project dah tamat.

carpe diem... heck, life IS short.