Author Topic: project 3...community center  (Read 5959 times)

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
    • http://
project 3...community center
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:26:11 PM »
mari berbincang
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
Re: project 3...community center
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:14:57 PM »
aku benci thread camni.
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Awan_Larat

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »
aku pun sama :mad:...kalau nak cakap mengarut mcm nih pergi le thread community...then again Pyan, you can't get perfection in one whole batch...rasa nak delete tapi aku tak nak curb 'freedom of expression' even though how idiotic it may be, mesti ada 'something' dalam otak. Marah dan pancung jelah...

Sigh...nih budak2 JB le nih...hehe
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:37:32 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline segumpal_tanah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • dari tanah aku datang, ke tanah jua aku pulang
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »
Sigh...nih budak2 JB le nih...hehe

Don't even go there, brader!
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Awan_Larat

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »
hahahaha....cucuk je...like me of the 'Kelantanese' nature.....no matter how i hate statements of marginalization..i can't seem to run from it. But not realizing it is far more worst.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:48:31 PM by Awan_Larat »

Awan_Larat

Re: project 3- Community Center At Jalan Kapitan Kling, Penang
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »
So...mari kita mulakan sekali-lagi, and since i'm going to Langkawi-might as well leave you with the UNOFFICIAL BREIF.

Project 3- Kapitan Kling Community Center

In this Project, you are required to design a Community Center, specifically for the area of Kapitan Kling. The Community Center must be based on issues that you derived upon your observation and our site visit. 
These are your basic spaces needed for the design of your Community Center. All students must follow these space requirements.

Building Program
General Spaces:-
Covered Drop Area for Cars-Calculate accordingly
Entrance Hall/Reception Area
Main Reception Area
Open Hall for 64 Persons (multi-purpose)
-Includes a double height room, with a medium span structure of your design.
-Must accommodate at least one sports venue
-Workshops
-Changing Rooms
-Storage area for Hall 
-Backstage area as applicable.
6 Activity Rooms (Program as per planned by your Concept & Issues)-capacity for 10-20 people.

Offices & Management:-
Director for the Community Center
Secretary for Director
Deputy Director
Accounts Officer
3 General Staff
Office Receptionist
Office Storage Room

Restaurant for 32 people:-
Kitchen
Service Area.
Dish Washing Area
Cooking Area
Beverages Area
Front Counter
Store-Wet & Dry
Dining (Internal)
Dining (External)

Building Services:-
Loading & Unloading Area
Storage Area- Events & Props-Relate to Hall
Storage Area- Management-Relate to Offices
Fire Staircase as applicable to design.-Relate to Building by Law Requirements
Toilets for Male, Female & Disable for all floors.
Water Risers where applicable.
Water Storage Room
Pump Room
Electrical Room
Control Room
Security Room
Rooms for Housekeeping & Building Management Works

Technical Requirements

Students must develop sensible architectonic in their design, applicable by the details and putting things together. As-per demonstrated by Sir Norman Foster’s University Petronas, good architecture is in Details. This is your technical requirement. The design of all the technical connections to your design is highly recommended (it will effect your marks) Nonetheless, all drawings must contain the following (graphics where applicable):-

Plan:
Grids X, Y and Z.
Space Identification in Plans (by numbers and tables)
Shadow Casting in Plans & Roof Plan
Plans must show floor designs.
Context included :-(roof to roof-ground to ground)
Basic anotations if  applicable

Sections & Elevations:
Grids X and Y
Space Identification in Sections (by number and tables)
Sections (1: 100) must be detail to construction drawings standard.
Elevations (1:100) must Shadow Casting-connection details
Sections (1:100) must show Shadow Casting-connection details
NO blank elevation, draw your elevation in detail to your design.
Thick Building Baseline

Detail Section:
Grids X and Y
Sensible Technical Annotations
Section Detail must be the construction standards
Thick Building Baseline.

Sectional Perspectives:
Grids X and Y
Space Identification (by number and tables)
Shadow Casting
Construction Details
Thick Building Baseline.

Interior Perspectives
Must be technically drawn, no-free hand.
Contains technical details that makes the design of the interior 

Exterior Perspectives
Must be technically drawn, no-free hand.
Contains technical details that makes the design of the overall exterior

Roof Axonometric
Blow-up, includes technical details, and connections that makes the design ‘special’.

A table of space area in Meter-Square & Feet-Square is compulsory, with NETT and GROSS area calculation.

Drawing Requirements

The drawing requirements are the marking point to whether you have finished the project or will not be entertain to presentation. Remind yourself that a complete drawing in substance contains all the following technical requirements together with the number of drawings ask. You must DRAW right & correct, do justices to section, plan and elevation line-weight, not forgetting the correctness of your drawing. Graphic is compulsory, but must be sensible. It is your drawings & design that makes the whole presentation, not an irrelevant background or swarms of fonts. These are your drawing requirements:-

Conceptual Diagrams / Space Relationship Diagrams – Refer Handouts by Morphosis
Key Plan / Location Plan
Site Plan (with context) 1: 500

Plans (1:100) –Ground Plan must include CONTEXT
Roof Plan (1:100)

Section A (1:100)
Section B (1:100)
Longitunal Section (1:100)

Front Elevation (1:100)
Back Elevation (1: 100)

Details (1: 50/1:25)
Sectional Perspective-2 Point(1: 50)
Street Elevation Perspective-1 Point(1:100)

External Perspective (Scale where appropriate)
Internal Perspectives (Scale where appropriate)

Model 1:100

Project Recaps

Remind yourselves our third project is the accumulation of all the three projects before this. You are required to design a small medium span structure, equal to its complexity to the Bamboo Project. The medium span structure is not necessary Bamboo, but of a materiality to your concept and design. It must be buildable with technical requirement and drawing detail to a construction drawing.

Your second, project should support your design approaches, according to your chosen architect. The precedence studies should influence your design process & methodologies. 

Of Metric Handbook & Time Savers

It is compulsory for you to refer the metric handbook and building timesavers at all time, especially when making layout plan. We will, during crit sessions ask students of the sensible layouts and space planning, up to the detail of how furniture and circulation works in your design.

Conclusion

Above all the overall assessment for the projects shall be based upon your ability to MAKE the final design logically. Problem Based Learning revolves around your creative and innovative methods, skills not forgetting intelligence when given a specific task or accomplishing it. We will look at the many generic skills and techniques that you have developed and acquired. We will also be looking towards your character

The father of all Philosopher Plato stated ‘Education is merely not the task of attaining knowledge, for it is the duty to ask a student what he/she had understand. Understand, logic and opinions derived from knowledge is in its high status the form of limitless knowledge’.

Good Luck!   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:50:28 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
Haha! A very thorough brief, especially in terms of drawing requirements.   I've also noticed that I have to "spell out" word for word, bit by bit to my students in order for them to produce what is necessary. Quite sad actually, but i suppose it is necessary at the beginning.

It would be good if a student can actually come up to you and say "these are the drawings I want (or need) to do, in order to best describe my design and presentation".

Sometimes, depending on one's design, regular sections and elevations may not be the best drawings to portray the design intention.

If I may, Yuri, I'd like to advice your students to also come up with additional sketches, drawings, diagram where necessary & appropriate to further elaborate what their design scheme is about.  And for goodness sake, always refer to the Metric Handbook or Time Saver's guide for determining minimum dimensions for amenities like washrooms, (including no. of fittings), corridors, staircases, etc.!!  Make those books your constant companions!!!!

One more thing: Never restraint yourself when designing because of construction reasons.

I've come across many students who are afraid to explore or push their design because they don't know how to construct their design.  Remember, you guys are still very young and fresh, you DO NOT know enough of construction to know what is possible or not. So, don't hold yourself back, go ahead and draw up exactly what you have in mind first. Then you go and ask your lecturers (or even post your queries here) how to make that design buildable or to make the construction work.  That's one of the most effective way to learn about construction - when you relate back in your design and you make use of the information, konowledge you learn.

From my experience, anything can be made to work, or at very least, as close as possible to your original intention. So, don't hold yourself back.

But... be smart about it: if you're about to attempt something different or unknown to you, do your initial scheme fast and discuss it early with your lecturers so you can develop it further. Your final product has to be buildable, so you have to get all your input from your lecturers earlier on, and not on the day of your final presentation!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:03:31 PM by lyceum »
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Awan_Larat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »

if I may, Yuri, I'd like to advice your students to also come up with additional sketches, drawings, diagram where necessary & appropriate to further elaborate what their design scheme is about.  And for goodness sake, always refer to the Metric Handbook or Time Saver's guide for determining minimum dimensions for amenities like washrooms, (including no. of fittings), corridors, staircases, etc.!!  Make those books your constant companions!!!!

Shot! i forgot about that. I am making amendments after going through it with PM-and he too, asked me to 'BOLD' the importance of using 'Metric Handbook'. I will.

I was told in Architecture Education, the Design Brief for the Lower Years must be very detail, up to the point where the actual space are is given. But i've always welcome rule-breakers.   

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »
True, you have to be in detailed in that manner in the lower years....... and you also have to make them aware why that kind of detail is necessary: as they would have to produce similar requirements/ briefs on their own later as they progress. 

Everything that the students are asked to do, has its reasons and objectives. If you can, always make them aware of what those objectives are, so they won't do things blindly (as most are apt to) and it'll help them later once the "spoonfeeding" stops.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:26:22 PM by lyceum »

Awan_Larat

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »

That, they have to refer the design booklet, objectives and learning outcomes. It already had been given in the first week of the semester, its a must.(learned that from Curtin) 

Awan_Larat

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »

The Brief is now Official, Good Luck!

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 01:17:53 AM »
haha! okay what....but i don't think most people or authorities would agree to it!...duh!

You got that many players to fill up one community centre meh?

What activities is the centre supposed to cater for? Anything new or interesting?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:20:04 AM by lyceum »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 01:19:13 AM »
yes it does sound lame.

unless u're gonna opt to make "main nombor ekor" as a cool thing...

IF u wanna do that, try and look for ladbrokes or other gambling/gamehouses in england. they really have some cozy hangout places with ALOT of TV screens. u can bet just about anything, from football to race horses to who would win the next election. now that's hardcore.

main nombor ekor? aiyaahh... small fish only!
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 01:54:35 AM »
can anybody post the site plan here?

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
gambar site

Offline sonatta

• Senior
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
lagi

Offline sonatta

• Senior
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
n lagi

Offline sonatta

• Senior
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »
komtarrr

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 04:44:55 AM »
nanti kena marah dgn yuri -- "x habis2 dgn komtar"
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Awan_Larat

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »
A lot of you had been asking me 'how does an Architectural Presentation Drawing looks like?'. Check these, from Morphosis.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 07:31:03 PM by Awan_Larat »