Author Topic: Teak & Coconut Grove, by Jimmy Lim  (Read 1685 times)

Awan_Larat

Teak & Coconut Grove, by Jimmy Lim
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:31:26 PM »
Teak & Coconut Grove is Jimmy Lim's family house in Penang. He grew up in this house before becoming an architect. A few years back he renovated the house, added 3 guest houses using mostly out of recycled timber. Its very tropical, even in the high noon the villas are quite cool. Plus its 60 percent open with ventilations and sun-louveres. We were lucky to accommodated the guest house for 4 nights during our trip to Penang. l
Date Posted: January 30, 2007, 03:24:22 PM
The house is 90 percent built of recycle timber, mainly salvage from hoardings, burnt houses, and wood cut from trees by DBKL & MPPP. It is a good example of an adaptive reuse of materials by low-tech architectural details.
Date Posted: January 30, 2007, 03:27:11 PM
Anyone making your visit to penang do bunk in the house, but ask permission from his architect's office first in KL. The villa's are pretty 'exhibitionist' hehehe, but equally wonderful.

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Re: Teak & Coconut Grove, by Jimmy Lim
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:50:35 AM »
Ya, i enjoyed the stay.....in my words, i think the rooms are really SEXY! haha, expecially the one i stayed in. the bathrooms are really open.... to the ouside and to the inside........ but as the helper there said "you only THINK that people can see, as long as you make sure the main door is locked, you won't be seen" (not even thru the gap between the walls that's directly oposite another door......... i HOPE she ws right..........)

the bathroom in my room is opened (in one way or another) on all 4 sides.... the door are cowboy doors, no locks, only providing cover in the centre (essential) part, one wall is a combination of smaller panels of traslucent and one big peice of clear glass by the WC. That glass wall and the adjacent one has a narow gap at its corner (which faces the door on the oposite side) and the last wall is only at waist level, opening to the next door(the private house) roof and to the sky ------ you can't imagine how cold it was when i bathed at night with cold water and the wond blowing ~.~ ............ so that's pretty much the idea of "openest" that most of us complaint bout........ personally, i won't mind a bit if i was there with the RIGHT company ^^
Date Posted: January 30, 2007, 05:34:15 PM
BTW, was all those pics taken by you, yuri?? they're AWESOME~~~ wu......... i wanna take pictures like that too ~~~~~~~~~
Date Posted: January 30, 2007, 05:43:49 PM
shadows on the floor
Date Posted: January 30, 2007, 05:46:32 PM
view of the bathroom ^^ i see you see i see you
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 02:55:48 AM »
well the philosophy is to respect others privacy.

if u girls are in our house, u could watch other people "doing their thing" in the toilet upstrais, from the ground floor . i mean, clearly.

Jimmy teaches us to respect others, especially as Malaysians, men and women sharing a toilet ( yes i call it "a" toilet) is a taboo. maybe in future times, it is safe to take a shower in open air.

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »
indah kabar dr rupa?
antara projek terbaru jimmy lim...bangunan JARo kt jb...still under construction..tp dh ade byk prob la plak...
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
problem? camne problem?