Author Topic: 04 Types of practices  (Read 1829 times)

Offline kuyeekee

• nothing beats the real action
  • Senior
04 Types of practices
« on: January 06, 2007, 05:32:56 PM »
Architecture practices functions in various manners but a general classification can be done with it being more artistic, design led and commercial. A mixture of the classification mentioned earlier often exist with the sizes of the office.

1. SOLO - the one man show firm
2. Small size firm - 1 to 20 people
3. Medium size firm - 20 to 60 people
4. Large size firm - 60 to 500 people
5. Megolomaniac size firm - more than 500 people

In a consultancy related professions, alike to architects, lawyers, doctors and accountants, each and everyone one us is an asset to our firm. Our consultancy is the bread and butter of the very existance of our firm. Relationship and interaction among people is unavoidable therefore the amont of people in the firm and even the circle of profession dictates  the CULTURE of the practice.

This will be discuss from taking current architecture practices are case study as discuss below.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:08:47 PM by kuyeekee »
grades are judgement of others on you but not what you have on yourself.

Offline kuyeekee

• nothing beats the real action
  • Senior
Re: 04 Types of practices
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »
I haven't been updating this page but I hope more and more students would visit current architecture practices to know how the business function and how works are done in reality.

This semester, I have brought a couple of 2nd year environmental design unit to visit Hijas Kasturi in February 2009. I hope those students were there can share their experiences with others there.

Hijas Kasturi was one of Malaysian leading architects since the 70s. There, we were warmly greeted by one of our UTM alumni, En Nizar Musa, and everyone was brief through their projects and took a tour around the office. I think some saw a real set of working drawings for the first time there. Those who were there, please share your photos and etc there and do discuss about the office's working culture, project types and organisation there. Hijas Kasturi is about 60 people now - a medium sized firm with about 48 architects. A comprehensive follow through of process from initial concept until end construction is handled by an architect in charge on the project. In a way, those who would like to practice there will have a full set of experience.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:09:37 PM by kuyeekee »
grades are judgement of others on you but not what you have on yourself.