Author Topic: Project 1  (Read 7498 times)

Offline SIM_UTM

• Experienced
    • http://
Project 1
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »
sematics, basically i think i had understood what u n PM tried to say this morning, but just to make sure then....

as i read through the note AGAIN <--- emphasize! i found that for cloister, u had town central, church/cathedral as example. and both of them are public/religious building, and it is dominating. n... since PM asked mi WAT IS THE MAIN BUiLDING, so i suppose cloister is about having some functional space DOMINATING the others, and the connection/linking from DOMINATED building to DOMINATING building is cloister! err... am i right?

since COURTYARD is sub of CLOISTURE, n as Mar had spoken out, courtyard is an element which unify the functioning around. huhuhu... i hope i dun get the wrong idea... am i right?

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
Project 1
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 03:13:17 AM »
i suppose you should also refer to frank gehry on his intuitive design process i.e. doodling.

you ask me, all these are premeditated lah, bullshit one.
PM...xsuke design frank gehry
n he said..form must follow function........hmmmmmmmmmm
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »
Yes.. form should follow function and function should follow form..... but if you have a rationale for why a certain form should be the way it is, ie to get a certain kind of response from the user/observer, that 'response' can also be considered as the the intended 'function'.

I'm not saying I approve/like Gehry's work either.. but I'm telling you all to live a little. If you really want to try something different, just go for it! Just make sure you can justify it with a rationale (which isn't all that difficult to do!).

I'm sure you guys should all be familiar with the basics of form & spaces (if not.. go refresh your memory by reading DK Ching's FORM, SPACE, ORDER again!). You're in the 2nd year now, you should try to 'break out' a bit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 04:14:38 PM by lyceum »
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 02:06:13 AM »
linear

spinal

serial progression

centric

courtyard

cloister

Simple?

how to make it pure but not basic.....
what is required to show a strong language.....
there are few examples out there that is actually pure....
besides that form and composition, there's also other things to consider....

;)6 hope i can get it all straight by the end of this week.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:12:36 AM by Yuki_Onna »
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 02:22:57 AM »
So how was it last week?. Was what you guys came out with acceptable? Did you all manage to surprise Yuri? (in a good way that is!)

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 02:23:01 AM »
courtyard or not?

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 02:26:13 AM »
So how was it last week?. Was what you guys came out with acceptable? Did you all manage to surprise Yuri? (in a good way that is!)
sorry to say that... overall product was disappointing... i was so sorry to see the disappointment in Yuri's eyes just now....

but i'm still in quite a blurr state.... with organizing the camp (no chance to drop out) 5 of us was left behind....  :(  FAR behind...

tomorrow there's gonna be a special crit with the 5 of us. hope i can come out with something.

*I'm looking for clearer precidence studies now

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 02:29:38 AM »
Hmm...  an L shaped building with a wall perimeter doesn't quite shout "courtyard" to me!  Won't it be more obvious and clear if it that space was surrounded by the building proper on all 4 sides??

So.. in that sense, your building has failed to 'speak' its Language (courtyard) to me!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:36:04 AM by lyceum »

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:51 AM »
wouldn't that be basic??

owh ok... i'll search some more...

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 02:46:41 AM »
Basic? It doesn't have to be a 4 sided building,  it's just that using walls the way you've done to create a 'courtyard' seems a bit of a cop-out.

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
Project 1
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »
looks more like a backyard to me. a courtyard is surrounded by buildings (depending on how many sides it has). atleast 80% of its perimeters should be of a building mass rather than just a wall which creates an enclosed space. i'll let u define it visually.

what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006, 03:05:24 AM »
:o  80%... nice! thanks for the info...

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline SIM_UTM

• Experienced
Project 1
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2006, 04:40:18 AM »
huh.... joist u seems surprised.... had u done any orecedence std b4.....

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2006, 03:34:01 PM »
Oi.. do all of you have a copy of DK Ching's Form, Space & Order? If you don't, go get it! And if you do have it... make sure you've read the entire book! You must understand the basics properly before you can play around with it or deviate from it.

Yuki, looking at the 3D you posted, was that an example you found or something you did to show Yuri? Just wondering, did it need to be that detailed? I would imagine that you all should still be playing around with massing at this stage to be developed further, rather than coming out with a 'complete looking' building.

Doing too much irrelevant work when its not necessary is a bad habit to get into. Find out exactly what is expected and work towards that and only that. If you want to do extra work, make sure whatever you do is relevant.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:34:59 PM by lyceum »

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2006, 04:02:50 PM »
Just a suggestion: Don't limit yourself to just playing around with X & Y axis (on plan) for your spaces.. remember, there is also the Z axis.. we're talking about volumes here. You can  play around with cutting & filling the site/ terrain or having varying levels to create different characteristics of spaces.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:13:34 PM by lyceum »

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 07:43:24 AM »
sorry, tat image is not mine. it's just an example... not mine.... but i did something similar... that's y i just wanted to ask...

Space Form and Order is already pirated all rounf the studio... i'm sure everyone read it. i went thru it during the sem break after sem 1... but still trying to re read it to get some new light out of the gibberish i read during sem one...

Sunmission is next week... some of our works looks quite complete already. some of us still behind.... still couldn't get our massing right...

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 01:40:27 AM »
this exercise is very, very simple. all u need to do is make sure what u have fulfills the requirement(s) of what needed. if they ask a courtyard, then makesure u show courtyard, not backyard, frontyard, centre court, tennis court or courts mammoth.

get a simple mass, put here. we can tell u if it's correct or not. i insist. if we're taking example of the pic u posted above, there are huge chance that most of u WILL fail this simple task.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

Project 1
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 01:52:14 AM »

Is that a joke AZA?..hehehe tennis court? hahaha...funny :' .

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 01:55:47 AM »
siap dgn courts mammoth??

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 02:17:21 AM »
so u guys got the joke, but did u guys get the message?

sigh...