Author Topic: Project 1  (Read 7388 times)

Awan_Larat

Project 1
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »

The Persistance of FORMAL PATTERNS by Alexander Purves

Ok kids, you'll know the routine, talk what you want, ask what you like, but most important, do the design.

If you think to much, its will not become a design. :lol:  

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »
hi Mr lecturer sir...  ;)  (i'll start calling u that!!)

Thanks for opening thsi topic. We had no time to tanggam with all the work load.

Don't think??!! easy for YOU to say, sir....Funny how u can make it sound so relaxing!

what i have problem with is... how to create something that is PURE but not boring/too basic. How to make it SHOUT out what it's supposed to be and not just whisper...

In the notes that u gave us, there's a sentance...
i quote: [1st page, 2nd column, 3rd para, 1st sentance]  :D
"Buildings which embody a single formal theme in absolute purity exist only in the imagination"
I lauged when i saw this and the image of u saying the word "suci" in such a holy way came into my mind... haha  :lol:

Ne ways... creating a space (or spaces) do require some thinking right? we're supposed to explore on the different ways of how to intersprete the themes or... we pick one way and from there explore it's form...

For me, i still don't hv the GUTS to move out of the comfort zone of geometrical forms. (curved lines give me headaches) to do this daring move... gosh!  :( "do we HAVE to...?" is kinda my feeling... but i'll try to do it  ;)6  tho i won't be comfortable with it... (i wonder if this is normal?)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:35:39 PM by Yuki_Onna »
"Seeing is not believing; believing IS seeing..."

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline donut

• Fresh!
Project 1
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 08:28:42 PM »
i think so much bout designing the space and the form of the living area..
is not like i dont understand the concept, is just dat i hv a lot of trouble designing other than geometrical shapes especially squares and triangle..
is hard to think out of the box u know..
i have to many worries....

Offline donut

• Fresh!
Project 1
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »
u r sooo rite joyce..
i cant develop dat SEMANTIC design..
how on earth i want to make my design speak on themselves?!!
huh..
i have to many worries....

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:35:12 PM »
Yuri is not telling you  'not to think'. He's telling you not to think too much!

Too many times, students (and architects) end up doodling, sketching and cracking their heads over something too much until it just never gets done.   Brainstorm a bit, get a few ideas going, but put it on paper fast and start to crit and developing the idea(s) from there.
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »
:huh:  sounds easy...

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Awan_Larat

Project 1
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 08:43:22 PM »
Like i said to all of you, get out of the X and Y method of building a space and clear your mind from the typical metaphorical method we ASIANs are so used to.

By Theory (for this exercise) it is the LANGUAGE that describes the form that an object was design to.

The object should SPEAK clearly as the design it carries.

Exploration is always about taking yourself out of the comfort zone.

Stick to the brief and you will find out it is not as hard as you think. I've not yet to put the site, and the climate factor. Thats why its easy.

What you need to design is its SEMIOTIC and PRAGMATIC purposes...
MAKE by draw and modelmaking.

Suprise me this thursday..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:46:59 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »
Ah.. intuitive design. There was a talk by Tim Derhaag during the recent PAM Convention 2006. (by the way.. the theme for this year's DATUM was "about making". Good theme). He's a designer attached with FLOS (they do lights). He basically just sits down folding paper, making various models and he's trying to surprise himself, because he never knows what he's going to end up with.  This is quite effective because you put aside all your pre-conceived notions and it's possible to come up with things that you would never think about directly. You never know, you might end up with something that 'speaks' to you!

Go for it! Just make!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:55:04 PM by lyceum »

Offline Yuki_Onna

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:05:27 PM »
Let's do origami!!! guess it can be fun... ^^
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:09:10 PM by Yuki_Onna »

\(^-^)/ Joyce
Yuki_Onna

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
    • http://
Project 1
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »
wondering to quit from being fasilitator for the built environment junior camping
coz i am still think on how to transfer my ideas...i mean my design into a reality building...wakakakakak...especially making model for the serial prog one maa...the ballon one..aiyo!
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline WaterLily

• Noob
Project 1
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:29:46 PM »
Ok...let me see..my problem is that i can imagine lotszz of crazy designs in my head but i cant draw them down. The curvy forms, texture, its just damn hard...! i wish i could just print the design out of my head..!  <_< i guess my brain isn't that connected to my fingers... :P pleeezzz help me out here.. by the way, i enjoying you teaching us Mr Awan Larat.. your cool

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:32 AM »
Ha ha! Well done Yuri! You've made quite an impression on your new students! They seem very enthusiastic! I'm impressed!

Waterlily.. go get yourself some lego blocks or plasticine and play with them!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:41:02 AM by lyceum »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
Project 1
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:07:00 AM »
yuri, i suggest u use more analogy. taking that everyone does not have enough vocabulary, we would need to use a lot of symbological or analogical approach especially in explaining what LANGUAGE actually is, and how ur design could SPEAK or communicate using language that u instill in them.

although i prefer the do-or-die approach, we run the risk that the group who still prefer spoonfeeding will be left too far behind. it'll piss u off awfully quickly! believe me, i know! haha
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline doctor_cox

• Senior
    • http://geocities.com/petaling_st
Project 1
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 03:33:16 AM »
i suppose you should also refer to frank gehry on his intuitive design process i.e. doodling.

you ask me, all these are premeditated lah, bullshit one.

Awan_Larat

Project 1
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 12:09:26 AM »
yuri, i suggest u use more analogy. taking that everyone does not have enough vocabulary, we would need to use a lot of symbological or analogical approach especially in explaining what LANGUAGE actually is, and how ur design could SPEAK or communicate using language that u instill in them.

The analogy of the exercise has been given earlier before this. It is not up to the students to INVENT the LANGUAGE, as it was already given. The design exercise is to create/make THE OBJECT that represent the given LANGUAGE.

By the strongest architecture features that the OBJECT represent to LANGUAGE, that is the outcome of the project.

Don't complicate your idea too much before it becomes a plan, elevation or section. Likewise it is the Plan Elevation, Section & Models that TALKs its LANGUAGE.

By progress of the exercise, ARCHITECTURE IS ABOUT DETAILING. Tapi detail tu takde le 'blind details' kan, relate it back to the SIX SPACE ANALOGY.

although i prefer the do-or-die approach, we run the risk that the group who still prefer spoonfeeding will be left too far behind. it'll piss u off awfully quickly! believe me, i know! haha

Leave no man or women behind, help your friends or foe. ;)6
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:12:31 AM by Awan_Larat »

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »
I'm curious.. what was the "Language" that was given to them?

Offline unfold

• Senior
Project 1
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »
"THE OBJECT that represent the given LANGUAGE"?

You speak like that to your students? Whoa.

I really don'y understand much here, mr. larat. Can you elaborate a littel bit on your teaching scheme? I am kinda slow..

Offline [A]jla

• Regular
    • http://www.ajla.com
Project 1
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 05:17:22 AM »
does this mean you actually gave each student a vocab and thats a start?

last sem, my lecturer expected us to come up with 10 key words to best describe our desired scheme.....the design ends up being revolved around these words, which is good, like theres no way youll miss out on what  were on about... we can easily point at the drawings and say this represents keyword A,B and so on....

for instance...

in my final project last sem , which was a small scale urban proposal + a building as a dead end in the arts precint, it goes something like this.....

buidling scheme
describe the expirience of plan that you want..................... fluid
describe the elevation effect that you want .....................prismatic
describe the spaces that you want to create through sections.............labyrinth
describe shape of building..................... glow
your idea of a treshold...................... momentary

urban scheme
describe the walking expirience...................... phototactic
whats ur landscape strategy......................laminatio n
describe ur idea of attractor......................... hypnotic
describe adjacency.................slippage
describe city............dark

so u basically have a direction and pretty much a clear idea of what the project is going  look like... u might even change ur mind and reevaluate some of ur decisions... but yeah i personally thot it was quite helpful... cause often i see students struggle so hard towards the end and still somehow, funny but, they cant even say theyre sure themselves.

i am A _||_ A  and im not afraid to use my spoon ---------------------www.ajla.com-------------------

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
Project 1
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 05:25:44 AM »
I think in this case, the "language" is actually the  six stated "typology of spaces" like: centric, courtyard, cloister, linear, etc, etc.  

Am I right?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:27:00 AM by lyceum »

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
Project 1
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 05:29:16 AM »
all this talk reminds me of ramesh's 5th year presentation:

"trafik yang lebat"
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain