Author Topic: what to expect in 2nd year  (Read 5606 times)

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
what to expect in 2nd year
« on: May 13, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »
simutm PMd me asking on this. so here's the reply.

assuming that the curriculum in diploma KL retains the old curriculum, then it's pretty simple what to expect. we expect u to be better and rise to the challenge. that's basic.

projects

project wise, u will engage in a more complex design, starting from a simple small scale project like pavillion, to a multi user space for up to 16 users like cafe, inn or surau towards the end of first semester. do note that the actual project varies from year to year to increase variety, and more importantly, to prevent plagiarism and inbreeding. however, the scale remains the same.

1st semester projects usually is divided into 4 parts. the key project is the major project towards the end of the semester, which should carry about 30-40% weightage. the first project is usually for u to pick up ur pace, especially after ur first long vacation. at this point, most of u will be VERY excited to receive fresh meats... ahem... i mean juniors under u. there will be so much distraction around u, including hanging out with ur friends and all, and not forgetting being back in KL.

the 2nd and 3rd project will usually tie in directly to the final project. but be aware that they can put the major project at the middle of the semester instead of at the end. this is to ease ur burden of studying for final exam, where u'll only do a small project at the end of the semester. even if u fail that, it wont affect u that much.

workbases

i'm not sure how it goes in KL, but u will be given the opportunity to choose between four workbases: environmental, theory and philosophy aka experimental, urban and vernacular/regional workbases. workbases are school of thoughts in design. there are about 20 different school of thoughts for junior students, but we usually use these 4, coz that's what UTM's expertise is in. here're the breakdowns:
    environmental - focusing on environmental technologies in architecture. u wont get to design mesiniaga-ish buildings yet, but u will start understanding what is so important about being in the tropics.

experimental/TAP - this is where u get to experiment on ideas or new approach. note that u dont actually experiment ur design, but more of an exploratory studies on the issues presented.

urban - one of the strongest core of utm's architecture bunch. the approach is to understand context - the urban context and what is needed to design into the fabric of a place.

vernacular - the traditional or perhaps regional approach to architecture. however, dont see it as designing rumah papan. there're more to vernacular than meets the eye![/li]

attitude

2nd year is very, very different from 1st year, i'm afraid. we see all of u as capable designers, ready to take on bigger challenge. we assume all of u are already capable in sketching, drawing, presenting, conceptualizing and most importantly arguing ur design. although the gloves are off, we still hold ur hands at this moment.

the gradings are more strict. in 1st year, if u made a mistake in ur dwgs, u will only be penalized in ur presentation marks, which probably make up 10% of the total mark of that particular project. this time around, such mistakes will be considered as incompetence, and it will affect ur overall design grades.

all of u should be mentally prepared for what's coming. sometimes tutors couldnt be bothered to take attendace. sometimes they dont even care if u actually crit or not. that doesnt mean they dont care about u, or they're lesser tutors. that basically means "u guys are big and mature enough, i give u complete freedom to do whatever u want as long as u submit on time". plain an simple.

i can talk about more, but i'll stop here for questions.
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline doctor_cox

• Senior
    • http://geocities.com/petaling_st
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »
you need guns. lots of guns.

whoa.

Offline SIM_UTM

• Experienced
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »
guns? *scratch scratch*

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:06 AM »
so how many of u 1st year -> 2nd year lots actually read this stuff?
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:00:41 PM »
What to expect in 2nd year? Me!!!...hehehe

Hey SIM...see you in 2nd Year ;)6  next semester, expect to be able to draw a two point sectional perspective in detail...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:38:07 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline sonatta

• Senior
  • Amik ko! amik ko! amik ko!
    • ArchiTecTurA
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 02:25:58 AM »
from zuri to yuri..

Offline Steiner Cresent

• Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 02:41:35 AM »
i did
"I once killed a hundred knights single-handedly. To me, you two are nothing more than insects."
Steiner's Babe,Beatrix

Offline lzyee

• Experienced
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:55:45 AM »
yes i do..
em.... some questions..: who will decide the workbases that we going to join? what are the lecturers going to teach in thier workbases? how do we know if we are keen on the projects that will be taught in the workbases before entering the workbase? ask the lecturers? senoirs? when is the suitable time?

i strong believe there are many students don't understand what are their workbase learning objectives until end of semester... baru regret..  so.. i think it's better to know what's going to happen next earlier..

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 07:35:44 AM »
u're right.

actually, not many actually bothered to ask what the principles of each workbase are, and why members of the workbase should follow/understand them until it's too late. u can ask anyone who almost flunked their 2nd/3rd years, most will give u generally the same... err... alasan.

workbase is a specialization, or a school of thought. they will teach u how to approach a design from a different way, which by the end of ur degree, u will understand that there is no ABSOLUTE way to solve a design problem.

basically everyone will attempt generally the same project, regardless of workbase. if the project is different, usually the size/scale of the project would be the same. for example, final project is a seaside cafe.

urban - will have the site in a coastal town/city, where u need to consider lots of other influencing factors from the surrounding areas.

vernacular - will attempt to design using vernacular/traditional/regional approach, using local material/technology, and addresses the climate/culture at the same time.

environmental - will attempt to design the cafe using environmental technologies addressing climates, environmental impact and so on.

TAP/experimental - will attempt a new approach to designing, it can range from new tool to design, new method, new thinking, new parameters, new style and so on.

students are encouraged to choose their preferred workbase long before they enter them. this is just for mental preparations only. basically, before the start of semester, u are required to come to the office 3-4 days earlier  (last thursday b4 school starts would be nice). u can inquire all u need about a workbase by that time, and hopefully register ur name into that workbase's list.

during the weekend, KK and KJ will review the list, and sort out who goes where. usually u'll get what u applied for, but there are cases where certain workbases are more popular compared to others. in such cases, the tabulation will give priority to equal distribution of academic achievements and whether or not a student have taken that workbase before.

by monday's assembly, the list will be pinned up, and u can check which workbase u'll spend the rest of ur miserable semester in.

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 03:26:11 PM »
Yuri teaching 2nd year in UTM-KL next sem ah?
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline lime

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »
yahoo~~
long time no c~
thanks a lot en. aza..
is it recommended that each workbase taken once along these few year?

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 11:45:16 PM »
with the new syllabus u guys r going through, u'll have the opportunity to take 3 workbases only. so u'd have to choose 3 out of 4 workbases. u can only join the same workbase twice, so the minimum would be 2, max is 3 different workbases.

i'd suggest u to join as many different workbases to expand ur mind, rather than concern on the grades. i believe i've taught all of u that grades dont matter very much anymore once u scored less than 3.5 CGPA in both semesters in 1st year. so if u did, then explore all u can, and make most out of it.

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 01:32:32 AM »
Actually, with the full degree course for the current students..... does the grade or CPA even matter anymore? Back then we needed good grades to continue from Diploma to Degree.

Workbases... just have fun with them. Personally, I would recommend Urban & Energy for latter semesters (when you are hopefully more mature). Then again, if you really want to experience all... there's nothing stopping you from extending! At the end of the semester, just don't hand it your work so you can fail and repeat another semester. You should try it. It's very liberating.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:38:33 AM by lyceum »
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 03:06:06 PM »
Actually, with the full degree course for the current students..... does the grade or CPA even matter anymore? Back then we needed good grades to continue from Diploma to Degree.

Workbases... just have fun with them. Personally, I would recommend Urban & Energy for latter semesters (when you are hopefully more mature). Then again, if you really want to experience all... there's nothing stopping you from extending! At the end of the semester, just don't hand it your work so you can fail and repeat another semester. You should try it. It's very liberating.
well, this time around, they have lesser semesters with a straight run until graduation. chances of scoring a 1st class is higher, and obviously easier to get awarded with PAM gold medal. it doesnt mean much on the drafting table, but it's definitely a bragging rights.

i agree with ramesh. have fun with the workbases. dont get too worked up with it. good designers always able to tackle any problem thrown at them.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »
Second year Design Booklet....

Awan_Larat

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 12:22:44 AM »

Aza, Since we don't have any workbases for the moment in 'Old School Gurney' could you open a new forum under Second Year?

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:45 AM »
sure.

first u gotta make sure atleast 10 people gonna frequent it other than urself. just so that we wont waste unnecessary bandwith. ;) i'll do this by this weekend. kinda bz right now.

Awan_Larat

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 03:05:24 AM »
Cool... i'll make sure they(semarach) will use the forum. hehehe  

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
Aza, Since we don't have any workbases for the moment in 'Old School Gurney' could you open a new forum under Second Year?
i am totally agree ngn idea
lgpun kami kt sini xtau nk refer mana
so..tq very much....

p/s..to en.hayuri...just nk inform,saya mendapati anda tertinggal i.c kat kiosk dekat ngn dewan tu
so...ambil sblm dikebas....
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:34:56 AM »
yuri tertinggal ic kat dewan?

goddammit! cepat cilok, pastu scan and post kat sini!

segera!