Author Topic: what to expect in 2nd year  (Read 5510 times)

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
    • http://
what to expect in 2nd year
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 07:09:14 AM »
biasanya..brape keping drawing utk memuaskan lectrr
eventhough i know that we r suppose to make drawing yg complete...xperlu byk2 asalkn attractive,is it? 5 kpg ke...6..10..11?or as many as we can...tapi make sure us scale yg sesuai...?

bcoz what did happen in our last sem is most of the top 10 is the student with pretty n very colurfull drawing one...eventhough they have no site analysis...n not compelete.....
so ur opinion en.aza
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:11:47 AM by hajah_bubble »
arju lakum fi sihhah wa a'fiah fi kulli halin wal amalin..

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
    • azarimy's sketchstation version 3.0
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »
17 billion keping. baru puas hati.

not complete interms of what? what's ur definition of incomplete? design is subjective. kita boleh score if we exhibit certain flare dalam design and letting loose on other things. it's how the grades are compensated and rules bent to allow good students to really achieve higher standards.

jangan keliru antara drawing yg cantik dengan design yg baik. usually design yg bagus dan workable disertai oleh presentation yg cantik kerana designernya konfiden dan mampu deliver the task.

tapi bila orang lain tengok, diorang hanya nampak design yg cantik tetapi bukan rasional di sebaliknya. this is true amongst general design students all over the world. u must see beyond what u want to see.

u'll realize that if u try to produce a nice but inefficient design, u will not score in upper years.  
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 02:39:50 PM »
oh tq
what i mean by saying incompelete drawing ...hmmmmmmmmmm
yelah.. mcm drawing yg without elevation,  site analysis...n have no building on the site..roof plan n floor plan...so without all this x dikira incomplete ke?..

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 03:10:57 PM »
still, u're talking about drawings.

u might need to understand the difference between a drawing and a design. a student can produce a complete scheme without drawings. drawings are just the best means to communicate. ini bukan sekolah menengah, beb. the panel will have to decide on the manner of completion.

kalau diorang strict on requirements, maka budak tu boleh fail. but that would also mean the school is unflexible dan menyekat kreativiti. u cant have both.

what u can do is to be better. stop looking around u and start reading. jangan beli buku yg banyak gambar tu. budak2 boleh laa. korang semua takleh dikira budak2. a good book inspires imagination. dengan beberapa patah perkataan aje boleh inspire sebuah design yg complete.

tapi apa pun, remember the big difference between drawing and design. incomplete drawings boleh didowngrade, tapi kalau incomplete design, fail terus!
what gets us into trouble is not what we dont know. it's what we know for sure that just ain't so - mark twain

Awan_Larat

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 08:04:24 PM »

Apekebenda ntah, awek mane cilok my IC....hehehe..got it back!!!  

Offline on_stilts

• Experienced
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 07:15:56 AM »
biasanya..brape keping drawing utk memuaskan lectrr

i think the phrase is wrong.
it should be, brape keping drawing utk memuaskan 'diri sendiri'.

if everythin utk puaskan lecturer, then mcm mana kita nak puas?
my advise is to puaskan nafsu sendiri dulu. hehe.
think abut it eh?
why not think? even the dogs do!

Offline hajah_bubble

• Experienced
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 07:34:31 AM »
Apekebenda ntah, awek mane cilok my IC....hehehe..got it back!!!
ala..awek keje kiosk pon nk kecoh?

waduh2... baca buku?<---mcm yuri nye advice la gak..... try our best la..hehehehe
neway..thankzxx 4 d advice ..tq all of u :D

Offline lzyee

• Experienced
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »
10 july 2006... a brand new semester starts

i'll be joinning experimental workbase this sem.. i don't what is it 100%ly but it's very attractive to me.... semangat tinggi..

sorry, why i cant find the word experimental under the school of thought list?

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »
who's your workbase tutor Lzyee?
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 05:17:52 AM »
second year adalah masa untuk berlatih skill mengusha awek first year...bila dah fourth of fifth year...moga2 skill2 tersebut telah digilap dgn sebaiknya dan mendapat hasil pulangannya..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:18:56 AM by pyanxz »
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Offline [A]jla

• Regular
    • http://www.ajla.com
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 06:32:49 AM »
id take it thats how you ngorat jessica alba?

2nd year for me was quite tough cause we no longer  have the luxury of being spoon-fed .... had to somehow squeeze booze out of our own brain based on what weve learned in 1st yr  and struggle with our own ideas,  to me it was the first incentive to design independantly.  
i am A _||_ A  and im not afraid to use my spoon ---------------------www.ajla.com-------------------

Offline azarimy

• Lecturer GILA!
  • Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 06:46:17 AM »
mengorat jesicca alba?

gghhhaaakk tuih! langkah mayat aku dulu!

i didnt really benefit my 2nd year. mainly because i was expecting to be spoonfed in 1st semester. this is due to the tight guide by the 1st year lecturers. so what u need to be expecting in 2nd year is a very loose system where u should be able to expand. lecturers will be less critical during crits, but will save those questions at the end of the day.

learn the game, and understand how the system works.

Offline [A]jla

• Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 07:15:45 AM »
thats why you guys need to be self-critical!thats how you  gain deeper depths into ur design... i gurantee itll help a lot.... cant always depend on ur lecturer.... or even ur friends....  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:18:40 AM by [A]jla »
i am A _||_ A  and im not afraid to use my spoon ---------------------www.ajla.com-------------------

Awan_Larat

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 06:44:10 PM »

I second Ajla..Self Critical is important...self-guidance in second year is also critical, what we do is only show you the way, but the question is not which to choose, but making the decision, rationalizing it, and MAKING the outcome.

Control in our hands is to be 10 steps ahead of what you intent to do. Care to OUTWIT that? hehehe

Offline [A]jla

• Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »
let me try to lay down the steps,

learn how to be self-critical.... how?? read, start small...ie, seniors works, friends work etc and thats when u come across diff subjects in architecture, you dont understand them,u need to be reassured that what ur seeing is true soo... then next step is books

READ and dont pay attention to the pics, take it slowww, i definiately took a long time to read a whole chapter about genomic architecture, and sooner or later youll develop ur own ability to further discuss the subject, rather than 'tiru bulat-bulat', what if the idea is a piece of paper, instead of using the same paper, why not scrunch it! and what would that scrunched idea be or look like?! get my analogy?

the thing about pics-based books as aza has mentioned earlier, its true what they say abt pictures saying thousands and thousands of words, but you first need to have a really deep analytical skill to make good use of it, otherwise itll always just be another  picture students often try to imitate bulat bulat

Awan_Larat

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »
Replying to Miss Bubble's question, and i think i have already explain this to everyone during class yesterday.

This is something that I’ve learned from an Australian friend that actually make clear sense when we look at works even in the Practice World. And it is actually a method of accessing works done even in the most European Architectural Schools, so I was told, but I have full confidence in him.  

3 Criteria’s :

Conceptual Weight
Appropriateness to Form & Function
Richness in Content/Craft

But most importantly is the OBJECT that bears proof of all these three.

These three are the vertical graphs that will be look upon how good a current particular works are. If a student can understand these well, I am positive he/she can produce a design worthy of your satisfaction and learning outcomes. Rasanya AA pun pakai konsep ni..baca le booklet dia...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 07:34:59 PM by Awan_Larat »

Offline lzyee

• Experienced
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 06:14:09 AM »
who's your workbase tutor Lzyee?
sorry late reply.

my lecturer's Ar Normal... a super senior grad in 1996..

Offline lyceum

• Administrator
  • Senior
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 03:46:30 PM »
haha! My former housemate! Have fun with him!
"Resistance is futile! Your posterior shall be violated!!"

Offline pyan

• Senior
    • design portfolio
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006, 01:11:52 AM »
kirim salaaammmm sama itu mr normal..
dumb di dumb di dumb..

Offline lzyee

• Experienced
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2006, 12:33:07 AM »
sure, i will meet him tonight in the studio and send ur regards to him... but, what's ur real name Mr pyanxz? or are u sure he know ur nickname?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:34:42 AM by lzyee »